Dad shares licks


Daily Nation (Barbados) - - Front Page -

KEVIN SNAGG’S CHRIST­MAS GIFT to the man who tried to take out his daugh­ter came in the form of licks.

Up­set that his daugh­ter was go­ing out with her male friend Justin Quin­lan, de­spite his or­der­ing her not to leave home, Snagg took his anger out on him, chok­ing him as he sat be­hind the wheel of his car.

In the end, though, an “am­i­ca­ble” solution was reached be­tween the two par­ties in the Dis­trict “A” Mag­is­trates’ Court yes­ter­day.

The 47-year-old Snagg, who lives in Eng­land, but was stay­ing at No. 104, 3rd Av­enue, Al­leynes Land, Bush Hall, St Michael, pleaded guilty to as­sault­ing Quin­lan on Christ­mas Day.

Quin­lan, whose $50 shirt was also dam­aged dur­ing the at­tack, agreed to ac­cept $2 050 in com­pen­sa­tion from Snagg, af­ter long ne­go­ti­a­tion be­tween his lawyer, Queen’s Coun­sel Keith Sim­mons, and Mar­lon Gordon, who rep­re­sented Snagg.

He also suf­fered mi­nor in­juries dur­ing the at­tack.

Mag­is­trate Dou­glas Fred­er­ick also ad­hered to Gordon’s re­quest not to record a con­vic­tion against the fa­ther.

Pros­e­cu­tor Sta­tion Sergeant Neville Reid told the court that Snagg ar­rived in Bar­ba­dos on De­cem­ber 15 with his wife and three chil­dren to at­tend his mother’s 70th birth­day cel­e­bra­tions.

Quin­lan was the friend of Snagg’s old­est daugh­ter, who is 23, and lives in Aus­tria.

On Christ­mas Day around 10:15 p.m., the fa­ther and daugh­ter got into an ar­gu­ment re­lated to her go­ing out. Af­ter he told her that she could not go, she left the res­i­dence and went out­side.

Ap­proached him

As she stood in the street, Quin­lan ar­rived. How­ever, Snagg went out­side and ap­proached him, telling him that his daugh­ter was not go­ing any­where.

He opened the car door and pro­ceeded to choke Quin­lan. It re­sulted in the car re­vers­ing and knock­ing over Snagg, his wife, his mother and his daugh­ter, caus­ing them all in­juries.

In an at­tempt to es­cape, Quin­lan drove off, but col­lided with a parked car, be­fore driv­ing away.

He sub­se­quently called the po­lice, re­sult­ing in Snagg be­ing ar­rested and charged.

Mag­is­trate Fred­er­ick or­dered Snagg, who left the is­land yes­ter­day, to pay the money forth­with or spend a month in prison. It was paid. ( RB)

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Barbados

© PressReader. All rights reserved.