Im­pact of Tangsi­bji hy­dro projects to the com­mu­ni­ties

Bhutan Times - - Front Page - Deki Lhaden/ Trongsa

Al­though the Tangsi­bji is com­fort­able and beau­ti­ful place yet de­vel­op­ment has not taken place un­til the Tangsi­bji Hy­dro Power Pro­ject which started in the year 2015. Tangsi­bji com­mu­ni­ties can now able to see many de­vel­op­men­tal ac­tiv­i­ties tak­ing place in their vil­lage.

The Tangsi­bji Hy­dro En­ergy Lim­ited was cre­ated as a fully owned sub­sidiary com­pany of Druk Green in April 2014 to un­der­take the im­ple­men­ta­tion of the 118 MW Nikachhu Hy­dropower Pro­ject, Trongsa, in cen­tral Bhutan. The pro­ject is es­ti­mated to cost Nu. 11.96 bil­lion.

Ac­cord­ing to Druk Green, 80 per cent of elec­tric­ity gen­er­ated would be ex­ported to In­dia by way of a power pur­chase agree­ment (PPA), while the rest 20 per cent would be sold through mer­chant route in In­dia.

As per the peo­ple of Tangsi­bji, the pro­ject has brought both pos­i­tive and neg­a­tive im­pact to their com­mu­nity. If we have ca­pac­ity to build more build­ings there is no doubt of ten­ants.” Said Karchung 58, re­cently built a new two sto­ried Bhutanese house near pro­ject of­fice with his re­tire­ment ben­e­fits on his wife’s land.

Aum Tashi Cho­den is

a shop­keeper who runs a shop near the pro­ject of­fice. Her shop is her main source of in­come to run the fam­ily as her hus­band is sick for the last seven years. She runs her fam­i­lies with­out fail­ing to pro­vide their needs.

Aum Tashi said, till now she felt the pro­ject has brought more pos­i­tive im­pact to their vil­lagers. Easy trans­porta­tion is made “when we are in need of trans­porta­tion to go to Trongsa town the pro­ject’s car lifts us. Some­times pro­ject worker those who has car they gives us lift.”

Op­por­tu­ni­ties are cre­ated for the vil­lagers, School dropout youths with poor back­ground left idle at home have got chance to work in the pro­ject and earn good daily wages.

But she fears some­times that there are neg­a­tive im­pact in­clud­ing al­co­hol. The peo­ple usu­ally drink heav­ily and stay late night, cre­at­ing fights, pick pock­et­ing and even auto strip­ping.

Laboures smoke openly which is not al­lowed in our coun­try has made her wor­ried of in­flu­enc­ing Bhutanese youths.

But she also men­tioned that when de­vel­op­ment ac­tiv­i­ties are tak­ing place few neg­a­tive things are ex­pected and should be ac­cepted if it does not crossed the limit.

Aum Lemo, a vil­lager can now sell her veg­eta­bles stay­ing at home. In the past she used to go to Trongsa town to sell veg­eta­bles car­ry­ing on her back and spend­ing night on the way. When she reach town by then most of the veg­etable got spoilt. Get­ting taxi was rare in th­ese ar­eas that time.

“How­ever the times have come that now we can sell our goods and prod­ucts nearby. Many peo­ple com­ing in made her life easy, wild an­i­mals re­duced harm­ing crops.” She said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Bhutan

© PressReader. All rights reserved.