‘Gas can­is­ters’ caused blast at school in S’ville

The Phnom Penh Post - - NATIONAL - Khouth Sophak Chakrya

PREAH Si­hanouk prov­ince fire ex­perts have con­firmed that a blast at the Don Bosco Tech­ni­cal School was caused by a leak in two gas can­is­ters that had been welded to­gether.

Bou Sothy, the prov­ince’s deputy po­lice chief in charge of fire, told The Post that upon in­spect­ing the school af­ter Thurs­day’s blast, of­fi­cials found a 15kg can­is­ter con­nected to a 35kg can­is­ter that had been used with weld­ing equip­ment.

“Af­ter care­ful in­spec­tion by our ex­perts, the gas ex­plo- sion was caused by the leak­age of gas from one of the cylin­ders, not light­ning,” he con­firmed.

Ac­cord­ing to an of­fi­cial re­port, the June 7 blast killed a trainer at the school, Seng Sarat, 35, and in­jured seven oth­ers.

On Tues­day, the head­mas­ter, Ouch Sambo, said based on the author­i­ties’ re­port, the ex­plo­sion was caused by the im­proper use of weld­ing tanks, and that new train­ing meth­ods would be used in the fu­ture.

Sambo con­firmed that staff and stu­dents were at­tend­ing the fu­neral of Sarat, while re­pairs to the school have not yet been com­pleted.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Cambodia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.