Al­varez and Golovkin set for re­match

The Phnom Penh Post - - SPORT -

CANELO Al­varez and Gen­nady Golovkin will square off in their highly an­tic­i­pated re­match in Septem­ber in Las Ve­gas, box­ing pro­moter Os­car De La Hoya said on Wednesday.

De La Hoya an­nounced the ten­ta­tive deal for a mid-Septem­ber show­down at T-Mo­bile Arena af­ter weeks of on-again and off-again bar­gain­ing by the two fight­ers’ camps.

“I’m happy to in­form that we have a fight Septem­ber 15!!!!,” De La Hoya tweeted.

Said Golovkin’s pro­moter Tom Lo­ef­fler, “Re­match is on! @GGGBox­ing will be even more dom­i­nant on Sept 15 for all that #non­sense! Big­gest Fight of the Year!”

There was no word on Wednesday about the de­tails of the agree­ment or even if a con­tract has been signed.

The two fight­ers had been due to fight each other in Las Ve­gas on May 5 be­fore the mid­dleweight bout was can­celled af­ter Al­varez failed two drug tests.

So uni­fied mid­dleweight world cham­pion Golovkin in­stead fought Vanes Mar­tirosyan on May 5 in a one-sided fight that ended in less than two rounds. Mar­tirosyan, who hadn’t fought in nearly two years, barely landed a punch on Golovkin, who scored a vi­cious knock­out at StubHub Cen­ter in Los An­ge­les.

Golovkin (38-0-1, 34 KOs) and Al­varez fought to a con­tro­ver­sial draw in their first meet­ing in Septem­ber in a fight that gen­er­ated 1.3 mil­lion pay-per-view buys and a $27 mil­lion gate – the third largest in box­ing his­tory. Many thought Golovkin won the fight but one judge scored it even and the other two were split be­tween giv­ing it to Golovkin and Al­varez.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Cambodia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.