A stag­ger­ing move­ment ... an ex­plo­sion... and I heard a sailor shout, “She’s hit!”

Advertiser (Grand Falls) - - Features -

looked around for a means to get down to the deck again – I did not see the small iron lad­der which led up to the lifeboat deck. I imag­ine it was knocked away in the hurry of some peo­ple who were rush­ing up on deck from all over the ship.

To the lifeboats

I jumped down from the lifeboat deck to the main deck. The wa­ter was an­kle deep. A raft was cut loose and slipped into the sea.

I heard a woman shout­ing, “Save my baby!” I looked around and saw at least two women with small chil­dren in their arms. Peo­ple were hur­ry­ing from one part of the ship to another, all en­deav­our­ing to make for the near­est lifeboat.

The Cari­bou was hit amid­ships, on the star­board side. I stepped into a lifeboat and there were about 15 other peo­ple in this boat, which was then toss­ing about at just be­low deck level of the sink­ing Cari­bou.

I no­ticed as we pushed away from the Cari­bou that wa­ter was slowly com­ing into our boat. Some­one shouted, “Get the plugs!” But there were no plugs. Ap­par­ently, they were lost in man­ning the boats.

Some­one shouted, “Get a bucket and bail her out!” But there was no bucket; and, so, grad­u­ally, our lifeboat be­gan to fill up and dip deeper and deeper into the sea. Af­ter sizing up our predica­ment I imag­ined there was about 50 per­sons in the boat when we pushed away from the Cari­bou.


We were about 75 feet away from the tor­pe­doed ship when our lifeboat cap­sized. I jumped into the sea and swam around for about 10 min­utes.

The wa­ter was icy cold and my clothes, af­ter a lit­tle while, be­gan to cling heav­ily at my tir­ing arms and legs. I swam for an oar of our boat a big wave.

While hugging the oar I was sud­denly seized by the neck, and I saw the ter­ror-stricken face of a woman star­ing straight at me and scream­ing for help. I knew that in a very short time this woman would cer­tainly drag both of us to our doom.

I shouted to her to take hold of the oar as it was about 12 feet long. She was too ter­ri­fied to let me go and so I put my right foot up un­der her armpit and helped her to the other end of the oar.

She grabbed the oar, and I saw another lifeboat row­ing to our aid and I set out to meet it. Sev­eral times I went un­der huge waves and was tossed about help­lessly; I seized hold of the ropes along the side of this boat, very tired.

Two other men were be­ing dragged into this boat. I was fi­nally hauled into safety al­most ex­hausted and very cold and shiv­er­ing. There was no one hurt that I know of in that

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.