Straw bale solutions
Since Joel Karsten first developed Straw Bale Gardening on his grandfather’s farm in Minnesota nearly 20 years ago, he’s written two best-selling books and talked to thousands of gardeners in dozens of countries to spread the SBG word. In Straw Bale Solutions: Creative Tips for Growing Vegetables in Bales at Home, in Community Gardens, and around the World, Joel harnesses the collective wisdom and ingenuity of gardeners around the world who have begun growing in straw bales to share with gardeners everywhere. Featured examples from around the world include:
• A community garden in New Jersey turns a site deemed contaminated by the E.P.A. into a food haven
• In Cambodia, Straw Bale Gardens grow food during monsoon season – for the first time
• Rocky soil in the Rocky Mountains and 6,000 feet above sea-level – and 50 straw bales growing fresh produce
• No space for crop rotations, no problem: a small community garden in Illinois is more abundant thanks to straw bale gardening
• In Australia, a passion turns into a more economical way to garden – and a profitable business
Straw Bale Solutions shows how any gardener - in any climate, on any continent - can grow beautiful fresh vegetables, faster and easier, with less water, and no weeding. In addition, what started as a hobby has grown to become a solution to food security problems in impoverished communities and nations, via communities, churches and NGOS.