RATE YOUR HEALTH
Wonder just how healthy you are? Take stock with our quiz and pinpoint opportunities to boost your well-being through daily activities.
Take this quiz (from our first-ever issue!) to find out where your health is at. You might deserve a pat on the back.
Circle the appropriate answers – you may need to consult your medical records with your doctor – and determine your score by tallying the symbols to the left of your answers.
1. What’s your blood pressure?
120-139/80 or under 140-159/85 160-179/90 180/90 or over
2. What’s your total cholesterol?
4.2 to 5.2 mmol/L 5.3 to 5.7 mmol/L 5.8 to 6.2 mmol/L 6.3 mmol/L or over
3. What’s your HDL (good cholesterol)?
1.2 mmol/L or over 0.9 to 1.1 mmol/L Under 0.9 mmol/L
4. Have you had any of the following diseases?
Gingivitis or periodontitis Diabetes Heart disease Osteoporosis Diabetes with poor control Heart disease with heart attack Cancer Stroke
5. Do you have a family history of diabetes, heart disease, stroke, hypertension, cancer or osteoporosis?
None of the above One of the above Two or three of the above Four or more of the above
6. How much weight have you gained since you were 18?
Less than 15 pounds 16 to 25 pounds 26 to 40 pounds More than 40 pounds
7. Do you smoke?
No, or ex-smoker for five or more years No, but exposed to passive smoke for an hour or more a day Yes
8. Do you drink alcohol?
No, or up to one drink (women) or two drinks (men) a day Yes, more than two drinks a day
9. Do you use recreational drugs?
Marijuana, occasionally Marijuana, frequently Cocaine or other hard drugs
10. What are your driving habits?
Always drive at or under the speed limit Often drive up to 25 kilometres above the speed limit Don’t wear a seat belt Use a cellphone while driving Often drive over 25 kilometres above the speed limit Drive after drinking alcohol
11. How often do you exercise?
Five or more times a week (for 30 minutes or more) Three or four times a week One or two times a week Never
12. How many of these food groups do you include in your daily diet?
• Whole grains (cereal, bread, pasta, rice) • Fruits • Meats/poultry/ fish/beans and peas/nuts • Vegetables • Dairy products Four or more Three Two Less than two
13. How often do you eat a healthy breakfast?
Five or more days a week Three or four days a week Two days a week or less
14. How many fruits and vegetables do you eat?
Five or more servings a day Three or four servings a day Two servings a day or less
15. How often do you eat red meat?
Once a week or less Two to five times a week
Six or seven times a week More than seven times a week
16. How often do you eat fish?
Twice a week or more Once a week Once every two weeks or less
17. Do you have a healthy emotional and social life?
You see friends or social groups at least three times a month You feel like you have a good sense of humour You see friends or social groups once or twice a month You tend to take things too seriously and worry a lot You’re frequently depressed You see friends or social groups less than once a month
18. What’s your stress level?
You’re not under any significant stress You have financial worries or similar chronic stress You’ve had a major stressful event in your life (job loss, death in the family, divorce, relocation or major illness) in the past year
19. What’s your marital status?
Married or common law Single, divorced or widowed