4 FORT AQUADA
On the opposite shore of the Mandovi River from Panaji, Fort Aquada still stands guard as it has for over 400 years. Constructed in 1613 to guard against the Dutch and the Marathas, this well-preserved old Portuguese outpost overlooks the beach where the river meets the Arabian Sea.
The freshwater spring inside the fortress walls gave the fort its name, Aguada, which means water. The upper section of the fort held water storage and fortification – including 79 cannons – and a secret escape passage in case of emergencies. The lower part served as a safe berth for Portuguese ships. The fourstory lighthouse, erected in 1864, is the oldest of its kind in Asia and was in use until it was abandoned in 1976.