Man held in ‘hor­rific’ as­saults on women at busi­nesses

Calgary Herald - - CITY - MEGHAN POTKINS

A Calgary man faces a raft of charges — in­clud­ing at­tempted mur­der — in con­nec­tion with two “hor­rific and vi­o­lent” as­saults on women at a Macleod Trail busi­ness plaza.

The at­tacks oc­curred one af­ter another at two dif­fer­ent busi­nesses lo­cated at a plaza on Macleod Trail near South­land Drive around 8:40 a.m. Satur­day.

Of­fi­cers were first called to the scene for re­ports of an armed man. When they ar­rived, they found a woman who had been as­saulted.

Po­lice say the woman had been punched, caus­ing her to col­lapse be­fore her al­leged at­tacker fled the scene.

But the at­tacker didn’t go far, po­lice said. He pro­ceeded across the park­ing lot to another busi­ness where he waited un­til he was alone with a fe­male staff mem­ber be­fore al­legedly at­tack­ing the woman phys­i­cally and sex­u­ally.

The woman’s screams at­tracted the at­ten­tion of peo­ple nearby who flagged down some paramedics in the area on an un­re­lated call.

The paramedics ar­rived to dis­cover a woman in se­vere distress.

The sus­pect re­mained at the scene and was ar­rested with­out in­ci­dent by po­lice who were nearby re­spond­ing to the first at­tack.

At a press con­fer­ence Mon­day, Staff Sgt. Bruce Walker of the CPS sex crimes unit said in­ves­ti­ga­tors have no in­for­ma­tion about why the at­tacker chose the lo­ca­tion or the vic­tims.

Walker said the Calgary Sex­ual As­sault Re­sponse Team (CSART) and the Calgary Com­mu­ni­ties Against Sex­ual Abuse (CCASA) are work­ing with the sec­ond vic­tim.

“This was a very hor­rific and vi­o­lent at­tack; given what she’s been through, she’s dis­played a lot of courage,” Walker said. “She’s do­ing as well as can be ex­pected.

“This was a ran­dom at­tack and it’s very con­cern­ing for us, as a po­lice ser­vice, and to the com­mu­nity.”

Bog­dan Rad­ulescu, 32, of Calgary, has been charged with one count each of at­tempted mur­der, ag­gra­vated sex­ual as­sault, ut­ter­ing threats, chok­ing to over­come, and two counts of ag­gra­vated as­sault.

Rad­ulescu will ap­pear in court on Oct. 31. He was charged ear­lier this year in con­nec­tion with a ve­hi­cle theft in Sault Ste. Marie. Po­lice there be­lieve he took a ve­hi­cle on Feb. 19 that was left out­side a busi­ness with the keys in the ig­ni­tion.

Comments

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.