Halifax police investigate weekend rave after young woman found unconscious
HALIFAX (CP) — Halifax Regional Police raided a potentially dangerous party inside the York Redoubt National Historic Site late Saturday.
The party, or rave, was held inside an abandoned bunker in Halifax after a padlock was broken to get inside, Const. Brian Palmeter, a police spokesman, said Monday.
One male was charged with public intoxication and a passedout, teenaged woman had to be hauled away from the scene on a sled.
Police found about 120 people, between the ages of 15 and 20, at the site. The bunker — a cement structure with a roof — is perched near a cliff with a 15-metre drop.
“ That’s very dangerous,” Palmeter said.
Another danger came from the use of generators that powered the party sound system. Although the generators were outside, they affected air quality in the bunker to the point officers couldn’t stay inside, Palmeter said.
“ They were overcome by the carbon monoxide in there,” he said.
Police know the names of the organizers and are continuing their investigation, he said, adding that they knew beforehand a party was scheduled for Saturday night.
“Originally we believed the rave was to take place in a licensed establishment in Halifax,” he said. “However, that location was cancelled.”
Police kept track of the situation and later learned the party was hitting the road, he said.
Partygoers were told to “meet at a certain bus station and take a certain bus out to that location at a certain time,” he said.
“ That’s how we were able to follow the trail out to that location.”
Police arrived at the site at 11 p.m. and followed tracks in the snow to the party. It’s believed that the party was to go throughout the night and partygoers would return on the first bus in the morning.
Halifax firefighters were called to ventilate the bunker and remove the unconscious woman.
Many of the partygoers fled on seeing the police and officers later destroyed some abandoned alcohol and found some drug paraphernalia. Some sound system equipment was left behind, but police returned it to the rental agency that owns it. ST. JOHN’S, N.L. (CP) — Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Danny Williams has left the province for heart surgery later this week, but his office wouldn’t say Monday whether it will be done in Canada or the United States.
Spokeswoman Elizabeth Matthews didn’t disclose the details of the procedure or say exactly when or where it will occur.
“I can confirm that Premier Williams did leave the province this morning and will be undergoing heart surgery later this week,” she said in an email.
The CBC reported that Williams would undergo the procedure in the U.S. but didn’t cite a source.
Deputy premier Kathy Dunderdale is expected to release more details early today at a news conference.
Williams, 59, is a hockey buff who played in a recreational league until recently. He met reporters Friday after a meeting with Prime Minister Stephen Harper and looked relaxed and fit.
The father of four grown children has four grandchildren.
Wi l l i ams, who enjoys by far the highest approval ratings of any Canadian premier, has tangled in recent months with Hydro-Quebec and New Premier Shawn Brunswick Graham.
He has spoken passionately against a planned $3.2-billion takeover by Hydro-Quebec of some NB Power assets — a move he fears could hamper his own plans to harness Lower Churchill hydroelectric power in Labrador.
Williams also spoke candidly last year in an interview about the stresses and frustrations of the job he has held since 2003.
The independently wealthy former lawyer and businessman openly mused about his occupational choice. Still, Williams has said repeatedly in recent months that he has every intention of running in the next provincial election slated for 2011.