Judge keeps Lepine blog­ger in jail

Cape Breton Post - - OUR COMMUNITY -

MONTREAL (CP) — A Que­bec judge has de­nied bail to a man who started a blog bear­ing the name of Polytech­nique killer Marc Lepine and al­legedly made threats against women on it.

Jean-Claude Rochefort will now re­main be­hind bars un­til the end of his case.

Que­bec court Judge Claude Le­blond, in deny­ing bail on Thurs­day, called Rochefort’s writ­ings anti-fem­i­nist and an­ti­women and said the com­ments showed a “ vis­ceral ha­tred of women in gen­eral.”

Rochefort has pleaded not guil­ity to one count of ut­ter­ing threats against women in gen­eral af­ter a po­lice in­ves­ti­ga­tion into his blog named af­ter Lepine, who killed 14 women and then him­self in a 1989 ram­page in Montreal.

A Montreal po­lice in­ves­ti­ga­tor tes­ti­fied he vis­ited Rochefort’s apart­ment af­ter re­ceiv­ing a com­plaint in Oc­to­ber, in part to seize a weapon that the fed­eral gun reg­istry had turned up.

Sgt.-Det. Marco Caya said he tried to rea­son with Rochefort that day, in­form­ing him that his blog posts had in­cited fear among var­i­ous women’s groups.

It was the sec­ond time po­lice had vis­ited Rochefort about the blog since June 2009.

“I sug­gested to him that he stop writ­ing,” Caya said. “I also strongly sug­gested that he stop post­ing pho­tos.”

Caya said Rochefort, 61, ad­mit­ted to au­thor­ing the blog posts un­der three pseu­do­nyms, and said grudg­ingly that he would be more care­ful with his words start­ing on that day.

But he said the pat­tern didn’t change.

Caya said he would note 19 fur­ther posts be­tween his visit on Nov. 2 and Rochefort’s ar­rest on Dec. 4.

Rochefort was taken into cus­tody just days be­fore the 20th an­niver­sary of the Polytech­nique mas­sacre on Dec. 6.

The blog re­mains on­line and un­touched since Rochefort’s ar­rest and po­lice have been un­able to con­vince its Amer­i­can host to take it down.

The con­tro­ver­sial blog, writ­ten in English and French, claims Lepine has evolved into a folk hero be­cause his name res­onates even to­day. OTTAWA (CP) — The mil­i­tary judge hear­ing over­see­ing the court mar­tial of a Cana­dian sol­dier, ac­cused of killing a wounded Tal­iban fighter on the bat­tle­field, has ad­journed un­til next week.

The case against Capt. Robert Sem­rau will re­sume Wed­nes­day in Gatineau, Que., when the com­po­si­tion of the panel will de­cided.

A panel of of­fi­cers de­cides the fate of the ac­cused in mil­i­tary tri­als.

It is un­clear whether the judge will deal with a re­quest by mil­i­tary pros­e­cu­tors to slap a pub­li­ca­tion ban on some of the ev­i­dence.

The court will be asked to ban the en­tire con­tents of a wit­ness af­fi­davit and to keep the name of the per­son a se­cret.

Sem­rau was charged with sec­ond de­gree mur­der fol­low­ing a pro­longed Oc­to­ber 2008 clash in­volv­ing Afghan troops, their Cana­dian men­tors, Bri­tish forces and the Tal­iban in Lashkar Gah, the cap­i­tal of Hel­mand prov­ince.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.