Clin­ton leaves hospi­tal af­ter heart pro­ce­dure

Cape Breton Post - - CLASSIFIED -

NEW YORK (AP) — For­mer Pres­i­dent Bill Clin­ton has left the Man­hat­tan hospi­tal where he un­der­went a heart pro­ce­dure, a close friend said Fri­day.

For­mer Demo­cratic Na­tional Com­mit­tee chair­man Terry McAuliffe said on CBS’ The Early Show that Clin­ton had left New York Pres­by­te­rian Hospi­tal. Clin­ton lives in Chap­paqua, a hamlet about 35 miles (55 kilo­me­tres) north of New York City.

“He’s out of the hospi­tal and in the car back en route to his home,” McAuliffe told the morn­ing news pro­gram.

“And if I know Pres­i­dent Clin­ton, he’ll be on the phone ... call­ing peo­ple ask­ing for more help for Haiti and where he can get pickup trucks so they can de­liver food or gen­er­a­tors. If I know Bill Clin­ton, he’ll be rar­ing to go in about 35 min­utes.”

Clin­ton could be back at work as soon as Mon­day, car­di­ol­o­gist Al­lan Schwartz said pre­vi­ously.

Clin­ton, 63, had quadru­ple by­pass surgery at the same hospi­tal more than five years ago, and re­turned Thurs­day to have a clogged heart artery opened af­ter suf­fer­ing dis­com­fort in his chest.

Two stents re­sem­bling tiny mesh scaf­folds were placed in­side the artery as part of a med­i­cal pro­ce­dure that is com­mon for peo­ple with se­vere heart dis­ease.

Schwartz said tests had showed that one of the by­passes from the surgery was com­pletely blocked.

In­stead of try­ing to open the blocked by­pass, doc­tors re­opened one of his orig­i­nal blocked ar­ter­ies and in­serted the two stents. The pro­ce­dure took about an hour, and Clin­ton was able to get up two hours later, Schwartz said.

There was no sign the for­mer pres­i­dent had suf­fered a heart at­tack, and the new block­age was not a re­sult of his diet, Schwartz said.

“ The pro­ce­dure went very smoothly,” Schwartz said, de­scrib­ing Clin­ton’s prog­no­sis as ex­cel­lent.

Sec­re­tary of State Hil­lary Rod­ham Clin­ton trav­elled from Wash­ing­ton to New York to be with her hus­band. She left the hospi­tal without speak­ing to re­porters.

Aides to Mrs. Clin­ton said she still planned to go ahead with a pre­vi­ously sched­uled trip to the Per­sian Gulf. The trip was to be­gin Fri­day af­ter­noon, but now she is plan­ning to leave Satur­day so that she does not have to rush back to Wash­ing­ton.

Clin­ton’s daugh­ter, Chelsea, was also with him at the hospi­tal.

In an an­gio­plasty, the pro­ce­dure Clin­ton had on Thurs­day, doc­tors thread a tube through a blood ves­sel in the groin to a blocked artery and in­flate a bal­loon to flat­ten the clog. Of­ten, one or more stents are used to prop the artery open.

The As­so­ci­ated Press

U.S. Sec­re­tary of State Hil­lary Clin­ton and an aide leave New York Columbia Pres­by­te­rian Hospi­tal where her hus­band, for­mer pres­i­dent Bill Clin­ton, was hos­pi­tal­ized. Clin­ton was dis­charged Fri­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.