Cancer campaign gets $10M
SYDNEY — The Cape Breton Cancer Cares campaign has received another large contribution, this time from the federal government.
The Cape Breton Regional Hospital Foundation received $725,000 from Enterprise Cape Breton Corp., which will go toward the $10 million cost of expanding the cancer centre and purchasing state-of-the-art diagnostic and surgical equipment for cancer care, as well as monitors for the hospital’s neonatal care unit.
Last week, credit union branches in Cape Breton presented the hospital foundation with a cheque for $250,000.
Defence Minister Peter MacKay made the announcement to a large crowd in the hospital’s cafeteria, Thursday.
“Cancer patients are able to stay home in Cape Breton, close to family and friends, which we all understand is an important part of the healing process,” said MacKay, who made the announcement for ACOA Minister Keith Ashfield.
Each day, 100 people rely on the Cape Breton Cancer Centre for diagnosis and treatment. Last year, more than 30,000 patient visits were made to the cancer centre and in 2007, more than 1,000 Cape Bretoners were diagnosed with cancer.
The federal government had already announced its intention to spend $5 million on the cancer centre expansion project through its health-care wait times guarantee agreement with the province.
“We will be open this summer treating patients in our expanded cancer centre and Halifax will be putting the shovel in the ground to start construction,” said John Malcom, chief executive officer of the Cape Breton District Health Authority.
The hospital foundation’s goal of raising $3.6 million in the community is within reach, and MacKay said that money will be paired with federal and provincial dollars to further improve equipment and services.