Family, friends hope for recovery of man injured in fire
SYDNEY — Family and friends were anxiously awaiting word about a man severely burned in a fire in Whitney Pier, Monday evening.
Dwayne Dalton, 41, was transported to the Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre in Halifax, late Monday after he was burned in a fire that broke out during renovation work at his house at 22 MacLeod’s Hill.
A hospital spokesman confirmed Tuesday afternoon that the fire victim was in serious condition.
British Columbia resident Shannon Lester, in an email to the Cape Breton Post, identified Dalton, her brother-in-law, as the man who was severely burned in the fire.
Lester said Dalton, a father of four children with another on the way, was renovating the house to make room for the new addition to the family and described her brother-in-law as a very giving person who wears his heart on his sleeve. Her sister was en route to Halifax to be with her husband Tuesday afternoon, she said,
The family wasn’t home at the time of the fire.
Cape Breton Regional Police said another man who was working on the house was treated at the Cape Breton Regional Hospital in Sydney late Monday for injuries which were not life-threatening. A hospital spokesman said the second man was released after treat- ment.
Lester identified him as Dalton’s brother, Gary.
Deputy Chief Richard Bulley of the Cape Breton Fire Services said Tuesday afternoon that the cause of the fire was not yet confirmed and the investigation was continuing as police had yet to interview a number of people.
Fire investigators concluded the fire while intense was not an explosion, as had been earlier reported, he said.
“The house was fully involved when the fire department arrived at the scene,” he said.
Bulley said the house was severely damaged.
Lester, in a readers’ comment on the Cape Breton Post website, urged the community to help the family with donations of clothing, and possibly food.
A family friend suggested a benefit dance for the family.