• Jewels and Gems Day Care, Glace Bay, opened in 1979 in the basement of what is now the Bethel Family Church and stayed there for 20 years, then rented a building in Reserve Mines for a couple years until a flood forced them out.
• The daycare centre then moved to the Bayplex for a year until the current building on Marion Street was built.
• After about four years the daycare was flooded out of the building and moved into the Glace Bay Elementary School portables until it their building was repaired.
• Officials with the daycare centre confirmed that, due to declining enrolment and a deficit, the facility will close for good on July 31.
• A rally will be held at the daycare centre at 12 Marion St., Glace Bay, on Monday at 12:30 p.m. to bring awareness to the pending closure.