Stingray Dig­i­tal piles into stream­ing mu­sic busi­ness with up­com­ing mo­bile app

Cape Breton Post - - ADVICE / LIFESTYLES / BUSINESS -

TORONTO - While mu­sic fans have been wal­loped with an end­less ar­ray of stream­ing op­tions that de­liver in­stant ac­cess to their favourite Justin Bieber and El­ton John tracks, Stingray Dig­i­tal says all of those ser­vices fall short of ex­pec­ta­tions. Just a few weeks af­ter Ap­ple Mu­sic launched in Canada, the Mon­tre­al­based com­pany plans to un­veil its latest play for the con­sumer mu­sic mar­ket, a com­mer­cial-free mo­bile phone app called Stingray Vibes. The ser­vice, which starts in late July, will con­nect lis­ten­ers to more than 1,500 chan­nels of non-stop mu­sic from seem­ingly ev­ery genre. Un­like on-de­mand mu­sic ser­vices, users can’t pick the spe­cific tracks they want to hear, but Stingray chief ex­ec­u­tive Eric Boyko says that’s ac­tu­ally a selling point for peo­ple used to tra­di­tional ra­dio. The com­pany has a staff of cu­ra­tors who scour the depths of cat­a­logues for hits and hid­den gems and then de­liver them in a steady flow of mu­sic catered to spe­cific tastes. “We are for 90 per cent of the pop­u­la­tion that wants non-in­ter­ac­tive mu­sic that’s very pas­sive,” Boyko said in an in­ter­view. “The other 10 per cent of peo­ple who are mu­sic afi­ciona­dos can go to a ser­vice that’s on-de­mand.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.