Blat­ter’s exit ‘not threat’ to Rus­sia host­ing World Cup

Cape Breton Post - - SPORTS -

MOSCOW — Rus­sia says that Sepp Blat­ter’s de­ci­sion to step down as FIFA pres­i­dent poses “no threat” to its host­ing of the 2018 World Cup. Blat­ter an­nounced his in­ten­tion to quit last month and new elec­tions will be held against the back­drop of U.S. and Swiss in­ves­ti­ga­tions into cor­rup­tion al­le­ga­tions, in­clud­ing some that in­volve the bid­ding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. Rus­sian Sports Min­is­ter Vi­taly Mutko says that any new FIFA pres­i­dent will “pro­vide full sup­port” for Rus­sia’s World Cup, which he called FIFA’s “pearl.” FIFA should now “re­store trust” in football af­ter var­i­ous scan­dals, he added. The date for a new pres­i­den­tial elec­tion will be set at an emer­gency meet­ing of FIFA’s ex­ec­u­tive com­mit­tee on July 20 in Zurich.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.