Windsor pub ravaged by fire
Spitfire Arms sustained significant damage
A popular pub in downtown Windsor will not be open for business anytime soon following an early morning fire Tuesday.
RCMP were making a routine patrol shortly after 2 a.m. and noticed smoke coming from the Spitfire Arms Pub on Water Street. They reported the fire.
“We were very lucky that the RCMP happened to be coming down here at that time,” said Windsor Deputy Fire Chief Jamie Juteau.
“Had they not made a patrol … odds are we would have had a totally different story here.”
The Spitfire Arms Pub sustained significant smoke and fire damage, with the first floor receiving the most, the deputy chief said.
The Windsor Fire Department received the call at 2:13 a.m., and upon arrival, could see “heavy, heavy smoke coming from the windows of the second floor” as well as from the front of the building and through the roof.
“The crews went through the front doors, attacked the fire in the kitchen, knocked it down, then they had to work their way upstairs. By then it was in the ceiling, going up into the second floor,” he said.
Juteau said the biggest challenge the firefighters faced was the elaborate ceiling in the pub as it made dousing hot spots a labour-intensive task.
“They had to spend a lot of time overhauling it because the ceiling in that particular bar is quite elaborate. It’s not like a drywall ceiling where you can just pull it down,” said Juteau.
He said Windsor called in Wolfville’s platform truck immediately to help them provide “exposure protection.”
Juteau said Wolfville’s platform truck and Windsor’s snorkel aerial truck were staged in a manner so as to protect the neighbouring buildings from sustaining serious damage should they not be able to easily contain the fire.
Due to the smoke that was present upon their arrival, Juteau said the neighbouring businesses likely received some smoke damage.
Windsor firefighters received mutual aid from several departments, including Brooklyn, Hantsport, Wolfville, New Minas and Greenwich.
They wrapped up the call in about five hours.
The fire marshal’s office has been asked to investigate the blaze, which is believed to have started in the kitchen.