Raitt firm on MV Miner stance
No plans to help province pay for cleanup
The cleanup may have ended last month but the province shouldn’t expect any softening from the federal government when it comes to paying for the cleanup of the MV Miner.
The 12,000-tonne, 223-metre bulk carrier ran aground off Scatarie Island after a tow line snapped in rough seas during transit to Turkey from Montreal in September 2011. Since then, Ottawa and Nova Scotia have been at odds over who should pay for the removal of the wreckage. Federal Transport Minister Lisa Raitt, a Sydney native, has already rejected provincial requests for financial help, saying the cleanup wasn’t an impediment to navigation, and therefore Transport Canada is not involved. Meanwhile, the province says the total cost of removing the MV Miner will exceed the original $11.9-million budget because of the extra asbestos and diesel fuel found aboard the vessel.
On Wednesday, just after making an airport announcement, Raitt reiterated her stance.
“Again, no and I’ve told ( provincial) Minister (Geoff ) MacLellan about that as well from the beginning,” said Raitt during a scrum at J.A. Douglas McCurdy Sydney Airport.
When asked if she would change her mind if the federal government received a bill from the province, Raitt was succinct. “No.” Raitt did say her department is looking at the issue of derelict and abandoned vessels and how this can be avoided in the future.
Transport Minister Lisa Raitt announces money to purchase firefighting equipment for J.A. Douglas McCurdy Sydney Airport on Wednesday.