‘It was scary’

Car crashes into Syd­ney house while flee­ing po­lice

Cape Breton Post - - FRONT PAGE - BY DAVID JALA

Heather Mal­colm was sound asleep in the front room when she was awak­ened by a loud crash early Wed­nes­day morn­ing.

“I woke up when I heard a loud bang and then sud­denly there were flash­ing lights and po­lice ev­ery­where — it was scary,” said Mal­colm, who had been sleep­ing on a couch just a few feet away from the front of the Davenport Road house.

The noise that awoke Mal­colm, her fa­ther Don­ald and sev­eral neigh­bours was that of a car smash­ing into the front of the house on the nor­mally quiet Ashby neigh­bour­hood street.

“It sure as hell woke me up — it’s not what you ex­pect in the mid­dle of the night,” said Don­ald, who spent part of Wed­nes­day af­ter­noon dis­cussing the in­ci­dent with neigh­bours and friends.

The crash was the cul­mi­na­tion of a po­lice chase that be­gan at about 1:30 a.m. when a Cape Bre­ton Re­gional Po­lice pa­trol unit ob­served a car run a stop sign at the cor­ner of Cape Bre­ton and Inglis streets near Open Hearth Park in Syd­ney.

Ac­cord­ing to a po­lice re­lease, of­fi­cers then saw the ve­hi­cle, iden­ti­fied as a Kia Sportage, speed up and run a sec­ond stop sign.

The sus­pect ve­hi­cle then came to a stop at the cor­ner of Inglis and Prince streets, but pulled away when one of­fi­cer ap­proached on foot.

At this point, po­lice ini­ti­ated pur­suit at a safe speed and dis­tance and fol­lowed the ve­hi­cle on Mitchell Place, Prince An­drew Drive and Ge­orge Street, where it at­tempted to elude po­lice in the park­ing lot of the Syd­ney Curl­ing Club.

With ad­di­tional units now in­volved, the sus­pect ve­hi­cle then col­lided with two parked ve­hi­cles and a sign be­fore ex­it­ing onto Townsend Street, then turned onto High Street and then Whit­ney Av­enue be­fore the chase ended with the crash on Davenport Road.

Brian Buis, who lives just down the block from the Mal­colms, said it was ob­vi­ous the car was mov­ing at a high rate of speed when it smashed into a ve­hi­cle parked in the drive­way be­fore col­lid­ing with the front porch of the Mal­colm home.

“It hit my truck and then it sounded like it ac­cel­er­ated — it went across the street and through the bush and into another ve­hi­cle that it spun around and then into the front of the house,” he said.

The po­lice units that had been pur­su­ing the sus­pect car were on the scene in sec­onds and im­me­di­ately ar­rested two male oc­cu­pants with­out in­ci­dent.

Po­lice say the driver showed signs of im­pair­ment.

The pair was then trans­ported by EHS to the Cape Bre­ton Re­gional Hos­pi­tal where they were treated for mi­nor in­juries.

The sus­pect ve­hi­cle was seized and charges are pend­ing.

No third-party in­juries were re­ported.

Mean­while, the dam­aged stairs and porch lead­ing into the Mal­colms home has been carted away and in­sur­ance ad­jus­tors have vis­ited the scene.

“At least no­body was hurt — the porch can be re­placed,” said Don­ald.

His daugh­ter Heather said she was very shaken by the early morn­ing chaos and has barely slept a wink since the or­deal.

The po­lice in­ves­ti­ga­tion was con­tin­u­ing as of Wed­nes­day evening.


Don­ald Mal­colm stands in front of his Davenport Road house that sus­tained dam­age af­ter a ve­hi­cle on the run from po­lice smashed into it early Wed­nes­day morn­ing.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.