French­man faces ter­ror charges

Cape Breton Post - - PROVINCE -

A 34-year-old French­man ar­rested last week has been charged with a string of ter­ror­ism of­fences for al­legedly plot­ting an im­mi­nent at­tack and op­er­at­ing an ex­plo­sives arse­nal of what pros­e­cu­tors called “un­prece­dented scale.”

Paris Prose­cu­tor Francois Molins said Wed­nes­day that the sus­pect, Reda Kriket, is ac­cused of par­tic­i­pat­ing in a ter­ror­ist group with plans for at least one at­tack, pos­sess­ing and trans­port­ing arms and ex­plo­sives, and hold­ing fake doc­u­ments, among other charges.

Kriket is be­lieved to have trav­elled to Syria in 2014 and 2015 and made sev­eral trips be­tween France and Bel­gium, Molins said.

At least three other peo­ple are in cus­tody in the case in Bel­gium and the Nether­lands.

Molins did not say whether Kriket’s pur­ported plot was linked to the Is­lamic State net­work be­hind last week’s at­tacks in Brus­sels and last Novem­ber’s at­tacks in Paris. Be­fore the Paris at­tacks, Kriket and the sus­pected Paris plot ring­leader were con­victed in ab­sen­tia last sum­mer on ter­ror­ism charges.

Two Al­ge­ri­ans be­lieved linked to Kriket’s al­leged plot are be­ing held in Brus­sels. The Bel­gian fed­eral pros­e­cu­tors’ of­fice said Wed­nes­day that the men, iden­ti­fied as Ab­der­rah­mane A. and Rabah M., will face a hear­ing April 7.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.