Juvenile division a new league for high schoolers
Displaced high school basketball players are back on the court, playing in a new juvenile league hosted by Basketball Cape Breton. With the work-to-rule job action in effect across the province since Dec. 5, school teams have been on the sidelines. Local high school hockey players are competing in a new midget ‘X’ league to give them a place to play. As of last week, high school basketball players are back in the game as well.
“We want it to be competitive, we don’t want it to be like a spring league,” said Basketball Cape Breton executive director Chris MacPhee. “Some of these kids are still trying to play for spots on a university team or they’re looking for scholarships, so they really need an outlet to have competitive games. We’re trying to basically duplicate the high school season.”
A total of 21 teams are in both the Division 1 boys and girls and Division 2 boys and girls juvenile leagues. Over 250 displaced high school players from schools within the Cape Breton Regional Municipality (Glace Bay, Memorial, Riverview and Sydney Academy) and others from Port Hawkesbury (SAERC), Neils Harbour (Cabot) and Baddeck (Baddeck Academy) are registered.
Games are being played mostly on the weekends on two courts at Cape Breton University’s Sullivan Fieldhouse. Each team will have a 10-game schedule, with playoffs expected to follow in March.
“It’s a first-rate facility and CBU has been great to let us have that much time out there because they do have other things to tackle beside making sure we got our league finished,” said MacPhee.
Saturday games begin at 10 a.m. and run until the last game of the day at 8:30 p.m., and start up again at 10 a.m. on Sunday until the finale at 2:30 p.m.