Travis Vader el­i­gi­ble for un­escorted tem­po­rary ab­sences next month

Cape Breton Post - - CANADA / WORLD -

ED­MON­TON — A man sen­tenced to life in prison last month for killing two miss­ing Al­berta se­niors will be el­i­gi­ble for un­escorted tem­po­rary ab­sences on March 13. Travis Vader was con­victed on Jan. 25 of two counts of man­slaugh­ter in the deaths of Lyle and Marie Mc­Cann, who dis­ap­peared in 2010 af­ter leav­ing their Ed­mon­ton-area home to go camp­ing in Bri­tish Columbia. The Pa­role Board of Canada says Vader has not ap­plied for un­escorted tem­po­rary ab­sences and such ap­pli­ca­tions can take about five months to process.

The board would con­sider sen­tenc­ing com­ments made by the judge, a re­port from the Cor­rec­tional Ser­vice of Canada and a re­view of Vader’s crim­i­nal record.

The Mc­Cann fam­ily would also have the right to sub­mit a state­ment to the pa­role board about how the crime has af­fected them.

Gary Sears, a pa­role board spokesman, says the main con­sid­er­a­tion in any pa­role ap­pli­ca­tion is pub­lic safety. “Is it safe for that in­di­vid­ual to be in the com­mu­nity and is it ben­e­fi­cial for that in­di­vid­ual to be in the com­mu­nity?,” Sears said Wed­nes­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.