Volunteer saves pet mouse that overdosed on heroin
VANCOUVER – A harm reduction group on the front line of Vancouver’s overdose crisis can now include a small, furry mouse on the list of lives it has saved.
Melissa Patton was volunteering with the Overdose Prevention Society in the city’s Downtown Eastside on Sunday when a woman showed up with a pet mouse, saying the animal had eaten heroin. The animal was “pretty comatose,” barely moving and barely breathing, she said. “You can’t really Narcan her because she’s so tiny, like with an injection,” Patton said, referring to the brand name for the overdose-reversing drug naloxone.
“So I just put a little Narcan on my finger and I put it on her nose and she wiped it off with her paws and was licking it.”