Some of Dr. Stan Kutcher’s recommendations:
• Enhancing support for CaperBase, which provides resources, mentoring and programming for youth.
• Ensure the provincewide mental health crisis line has more staff.
• Provide funding for the Cape Breton-Victoria Regional School board to hire two more guidance counsellors and a social worker.
• Create a single structure to address all school-based mental health policies, plans, oversight and evaluation with direct reporting to the ministers of Health and Wellness and Education and Early Childhood Development.
• Use nationally recognized expert input to update and revise the provincial suicide prevention framework
• Revise the School Code of Conduct Policy to clarify the use of evidence-based interventions related to student conflict, bullying and cyberbullying.
• Develop a provincial policy that addresses the responsible use of students’ personal communication devices.