9/11 vic­tim’s re­mains iden­ti­fied nearly 16 years later

Cape Breton Post - - World -

NEW YORK — The re­mains of a man killed at the World Trade Cen­ter on 9-11 have been iden­ti­fied nearly 16 years af­ter the at­tacks, med­i­cal ex­am­in­ers said Mon­day. His name was with­held at his fam­ily’s re­quest, the New York City med­i­cal ex­am­iner’s of­fice said.

The an­nounce­ment marked the first new iden­ti­fi­ca­tion made since March 2015 in the painstak­ing, on­go­ing ef­fort. The of­fice uses DNA test­ing and other means to match bone frag­ments to the 2,753 peo­ple killed by the hi­jack­ers who crashed air­planes into the trade cen­tre’s twin tow­ers on Sept. 11, 2001.

Re­mains of 1,641 vic­tims have been iden­ti­fied so far. That means 40 per cent of those who died have yet to have any re­mains iden­ti­fied.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.