Re­leased from cus­tody

Mur­der ac­cused is re­leased on host of con­di­tions

Cape Breton Post - - Cape Breton - BY CAPE BRE­TON POST STAFF

A 35-year-old Syd­ney Mines woman charged with sec­ond-de­gree mur­der in con­nec­tion with the death of her for­mer part­ner was re­leased from cus­tody Fri­day on a host of con­di­tions.

Kim­berly Ann O’Dea, of Ox­ford Av­enue, is charged with sec­ond-de­gree mur­der and crim­i­nal negligence caus­ing death. The Crown has now added a third charge, dan­ger­ous driv­ing caus­ing death.

The charges are in re­la­tion to the death of Dana Marie Jes­some, 28, of McKean Street, Syd­ney Mines, who died af­ter be­ing struck by a ve­hi­cle that po­lice al­lege was driven by O’Dea.

The pair had been in­volved in a prior re­la­tion­ship and the time of her death, Jes­some was un­der court or­der to have no con­tact with O’Dea.

Ac­cord­ing to Cape Bre­ton Re­gional Po­lice, the in­ci­dent oc­curred at 7 a.m. July 14 on Ox­ford Av­enue.

Jes­some was first taken to the Cape Bre­ton Re­gional Hospi­tal and later trans­ferred to a fa­cil­ity in Hal­i­fax where she was pro­nounced dead.

O’Dea was ar­rested by po­lice, with­out in­ci­dent, shortly af­ter the ac­ci­dent.

In ap­pear­ing Fri­day in Supreme Court for a bail hear­ing, O’Dea was re­leased af­ter agree­ing to abide by a host of con­di­tions in­clud­ing she live in Grand Falls/Wind­sor in New­found­land and Labrador.

Her mother, Effie O’Dea, se­cured her daugh­ter’s re­lease in post­ing $40,000 in prop­erty (her home).

Af­ter the Supreme Court ap­pear­ance, O’Dea then ap­peared in pro­vin­cial court when was date was set for a pre­lim­i­nary hear­ing on the charges.

The hear­ing is now set for Sept. 18. Among the con­di­tions of her re­lease, O’Dea is to have no con­tact with 21 in­di­vid­u­als, an in­crease from the pre­vi­ous list of 17 peo­ple.

She is also pro­hib­ited from al­co­hol and all drugs not pre­scribed her by a physi­cian and is to re­port, in per­son, once a week to RCMP in Grand Falls/Wind­sor.

She is to stay off Cape Bre­ton Is­land ex­cept for court or med­i­cal pur­poses and is to abide by a cur­few.

She is not al­lowed to drive or ac­cess any so­cial me­dia sites.

Shortly af­ter her ar­rest on the charges, O’Dea’s Ox­ford Av­enue home was set ablaze. Po­lice and pro­vin­cial fire mar­shal of­fi­cials are con­tin­u­ing their in­ves­ti­ga­tion into the fire which has been deemed sus­pi­cious.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.