FAST FACTS Highlights of the Fort Petrie Military Museum:
• Fort Petrie is a Second World War era fortification site in New Victoria, built to guard Sydney harbour.
• Fort Petrie played a significant role in the defence of Sydney harbour during the Second World War and is valued for its associations with the Allied efforts to protect North Atlantic shipping routes.
• 1956 – Fort Petrie is the last of the Sydney forts decommissioned.
• 1990 – Sydney Harbour Fortification Society incorporated as non-profit organization and in 1991 acquired ownership of the fort and granted injunction to stop its destruction.
• 1998 – Opens as a military museum.