Man likely got ‘brain eat­ing amoeba’ at Texas re­sort

Cape Breton Post - - Classifieds / World -

A New Jersey man who died from a rare “brain-eat­ing amoeba” was likely ex­posed to it dur­ing his visit to a Texas wa­ter re­sort last month, health of­fi­cials said Fri­day.

The Waco-McLen­nan County Pub­lic Health Dis­trict said test­ing done by the Cen­ters for Disease Con­trol and Pre­ven­tion found ev­i­dence of Nae­g­le­ria fow­leri — a rare but deadly amoeba that can cause a brain in­fec­tion — at one of the four at­trac­tions at the BSR Ca­ble Park and Surf Re­sort in Waco, and con­di­tions favourable for its growth at the other three.

Health of­fi­cials said the amoeba was found at the at­trac­tion that’s a nat­u­ral body of wa­ter, but it’ll re­main open be­cause risk of ex­po­sure is con­sid­ered the same as at any nat­u­ral body of wa­ter. But of­fi­cials added that the other three at­trac­tions won’t re­open un­til “all health and safety is­sues’’ are ad­dressed.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.