CONNAUGHT RANGES AND PRIMARY TRAINING CENTRE (CRPTC)
CFSU(O)’s Connaught Ranges and Primary Training Centre (CRPTC), located at Shirley’s Bay on the Ottawa River (approximately 20 minutes West of Parliament Hill), is able to offer extensive training to Canadian and other military, cadet and police forces on 2,600 acres (1,058 hectares) of integrated small arms ranges and manoeuvre training areas. Named after HRH The Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, Governor General of Canada from 1912 to 1916, the site was purchased in 1912 to replace the original Ottawa Ranges that had been originally located on Range Road off of Laurier Avenue in downtown Ottawa and later moved to Rockcliffe. Construction began in 1920, and the ceremonial first shot was fired by Major-General Sir Alexander Bertram, Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Dominion of Canada Rifle Association (DCRA) and the first Camp Commander, at the Annual Prize Meeting in the summer of 1921. Today CRPTC is recognized for its world-class marksmanship facilities as the home to the annual Canadian Forces Small Arms Concentration and the DCRA Shooting Championships, as well as for its environmental stewardship of species-at-risk and wetland habitat.