STREAMLINE AND CONSOLIDATION
CFSU(O) first existed as Commandant, Army Headquarters (AHQ), and on 12 May 1950, it was renamed the No 1 Army Administrative Unit (1AAU). Originally located at the “C” Building in Ottawa’s Cartier Square, the unit’s abilities and functions were greatly enhanced when the office of Paymaster AHQ was transferred from the Directorate of Pay Services to 1AAU. This meant that the responsibility for the administration of all pay matters, insofar as they affected Army Headquarters personnel, was transferred to the Commandant of 1AAU. Interestingly, one of 1AAU’s first tasks was to help create a specialized fighting force, when, on 7 August 1950, Prime Minister Louis St-Laurent announced the plans for the formation of the Canadian Army Special Forces. This unit was to form the bulk of the 25th Canadian Infantry Brigade, and 1AAU was tasked to recruit for this force in the Ottawa area until the formation of No.13 Personnel Depot in 1951. 1 AAU’s role would expand in the early 1960s with the amalgamation of the three distinct military services. In order to achieve uniformity and efficiency, the headquarters of the three service branches were integrated to form Canadian Forces Headquarters (CFHQ), and the three existing Headquarters’ Administrative Units – 1 AAU, HMCS Bytown, and 1 RCAF Administrative Unit – were designated “CFHQ Administrative Unit (CFHQ AU)” on 7 December 1964. The newly formed unit had broadened administrative responsibilities in four main areas; administration, office services, security, and finance. Even after the formation of CFHQ AU, the unification process would continue to change the face of the CAF and influence the future CFSU(O). On 1 February 1968, Bill C-243, the Canadian Forces Reorganization Act, became law, and the three service branches were combined into a single entity. The unification became an explosive political issue both within the Armed Forces and in the national public political arena, and it had direct consequences on the NCR, as two previously individual entities - RCAF Station Rockcliffe and RCAF Station Uplands – became Canadian Forces Bases (CFBs) Rockcliffe and Uplands. The integration of these two bases proved to be a challenging undertaking as each had its own unique history, traditions, and specialties. CFB canadiennes (BFC) Rockcliffe et Uplands, ainsi qu’à la rationalisation et à la réduction des effectifs survenues dans la région de la capitale nationale.