CONNAUGHT RANGES AND PRIMARY TRAINING CENTRE (CRPTC)
CFSU(O)’s Connaught Ranges and Primary Training Centre (CRPTC), located at Shirleys Bay on the Ottawa River (approximately 20 minutes west of Parliament Hill), is able to offer extensive training to Canadian and other military, cadet and police forces on 2,600 acres (1,058 hectares) of integrated small arms ranges and manoeuvre training areas. Named after HRH The Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, Governor General of Canada from 1912 to 1916, the site was purchased in 1912 to replace the Ottawa Ranges that had been originally located on Range Road off of Laurier Avenue in downtown Ottawa and later moved to Rockcliffe. Construction began in 1920, and the ceremonial first shot was fired by Major-General Sir Alexander Bertram, Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Dominion of Canada Rifle Association (DCRA) and the first Camp Commander, at the Annual Prize Meeting in the summer of 1921. Today CRPTC is recognized for its world-class marksmanship facilities as the home to the annual Canadian Armed Forces’ Small Arms Concentration and the DCRA Shooting Championships, as well as for its environmental stewardship of species-at-risk and wetland habitat.
HOSTING FOREIGN DIGNITARIES
Although characterized as a support unit, CFSU(O) was involved in one of Canada’s most trying times in 1970. Following hostile FLQ (“Front de libération du Québec”) activities in the province of Quebec, the CFHQ/AU Security Section helped to provide security and protection for high ranking Government officials, and for non-DND governmental buildings, equipment and property in the NCR during the only peacetime use of the War Measures Act in Canada’s history. CFSU(O) has also been instrumental in hosting visits from numerous foreign dignitaries, including members of the Royal Family, US Presidents and many other world leaders.