Emergency Family Housing Services in the NCR
The Military Family Resource Centre - National Capital Region, the Self Help Housing Organization, and Canadian Forces Support Unit (Ottawa)’s Chaplain Services, under the auspices of the Commandant of CFSU(O), have partnered to provide the National Capital Region with Emergency Family Housing Services. This program is designed to meet the temporary accommodation needs of local NCR CAF families, as well as CAF families from other Eastern Ontario bases and wings. The purpose of the Emergency Family Housing Unit is to provide temporary housing for families in crisis, families requiring affordable accommodations for local specialist/medical appointments, CAF parents with child visitation rights, Imposed Restriction (IR), visitations and short-term housing for families unable to stay in their own homes due to flooding, fires, and/or extensive and unforeseen renovations. Occupancy of the Emergency Family Housing Unit is granted solely by approval of the MFRC-NCR Family Crisis Team or Chaplain Services, and is based on the following three priority levels: Priority One:
• A sudden or unexpected situation (ie. deteriorating domestic situations, family violence, hospitalization of a loved one, etc.);
• A situation related to housing that requires immediate attention where no other personal resources can be accessed to address the immediate need. Priority Two:
• CAF families from different Bases/Wings who have a medical necessity for an immediate family member - dependant or other;
• CAF families who require accommodations to exercise visitation rights with dependants. Priority Three:
• CAF members on Imposed Restriction (IR) in the NCR wo require accommodations for visits with their families;
• CAF families facing any other circumstances for which access to emergency housing may be deemed a need and who have been assessed as such by the MFRC-NCR Family Crisis Team and/or Chaplain Services.
CAF families in need may be referred to the MFRCNCR Family Crisis Team or to Chaplain Services by:
• MFRC-NCR staff, CFHA, Chaplain Services, Social Workers, the Base Duty Officer, IPSC, CANSOFCOM, the Military Police, or the Base Administration Branch;
• A local unit or a supervisor;
• A CAF member or family member; or
• A Community Agency serving CAF members and their families. Once a referral has been received, an evaluation of need will be conducted by a member of the MFRC-NCR Family Crisis Team or the Chaplain Services designate to determine the appropriateness of the referral, and if approved, the length of stay required and appropriate priority level.
Military Family Resource Centre - National Capital Region: Call 613-998-4888, 0830 to 1630 hrs, Monday to Friday or send an e-mail to info@ mfrc-ncr.org.
Duty Chaplain: 0800 to 1500 hrs Monday to Friday. Call 613-998-3246.
After Hours: Call the Military Police line at 613995-0123 and ask to speak to the Duty Chaplain.
NOTE: The Emergency Family Housing unit is not a designated Protection Housing against domestic violence; therefore, safety and security cannot be guaranteed. If the situation is one which requires protection, other options should be considered prior to applying for access to the Emergency Family Housing unit.