TREATING LOW BLOOD GLUCOSE
Eat or drink 15 g of ‘fast acting’ carbohydrate right away, such as:
● 15 g glucose tablet (preferred treatment), or
● 1 tbsp sugar dissolved in 175 ml water. Glucose tablets are the preferred treatment.
● 3/4 cup orange or apple juice or regular soft drink
● 1 small box of raisins
● 1 tbsp of honey
● 3 dextrosols or 6 Lifesavers
Wait 10 to 15 minutes and recheck blood glucose
You should be feeling better. If you are not feeling better, or your glucose level is still less than 4 mmol/L, repeat 15 g of ‘fast acting’ carbohydrate. If your next meal is more than an hour away, eat a snack of a starch and protein (cheese and six crackers, half of a peanut butter or meat sandwich).
If blood glucose is severely low (less than 2.8 mmol/L) and you are conscious:
● Take 20 g of carbohydrate, preferably as glucose tablets.
● Wait 15 minutes and re-check blood glucose.
● If you are not feeling better or your glucose level is less than 4 mmol/L, repeat 15 g of fast acting carbohydrate.