Kingston Whig-Standard - - NEWS -

A com­pi­la­tion of of­fences from Kingston’s On­tario Court of Jus­tice for the pe­riod of March 27 to 31, 2017. Only sen­tences that in­volved a large fine, pro­ba­tion or in­car­cer­a­tion are in­cluded.

Cory Malott, 45, was con­victed of vi­o­lat­ing two con­di­tions of pro­ba­tion he re­ceived in Oc­to­ber 2014 by fail­ing to no­tify his pro­ba­tion of­fi­cer of a change of ad­dress and by not com­plet­ing re­quired coun­selling for sub­stance abuse. He was given en­hanced credit on 51 days of pre­trial cus­tody and sen­tenced to a fur­ther 14 days in jail. Jus­tice Larry O’Brien was told Malott checked into the Sal­va­tion Army’s Har­bour Light Pro­gram in Novem­ber last year and no­ti­fied his pro­ba­tion of­fi­cer that would be his ad­dress un­til he’d com­pleted the pro­gram. As­sis­tant Crown at­tor­ney John Sko­ropada said Malott left af­ter only one week, how­ever, and his where­abouts were un­known un­til Fe­bru­ary, when the ROPE Squad was called in. De­fence lawyer Mary Jane Kingston said Malott left the treatment cen­tre af­ter some­thing hap­pened to trig­ger emo­tions re­lated to trau­matic events in his child­hood. How­ever, he sought out a coun­sel­lor on his own, she said, and he’s been work­ing with him ever since and test­ing neg­a­tive for crys­tal meth. Mal­lot told the judge that he’d “hid be­hind drugs for a long time,” but he said he’s not that per­son any­more. He told Jus­tice O’Brien he now just wants to stay clean and go home to his wife and son. In sen­tenc­ing Mal­lot, Jus­tice O’Brien noted “Cory has a stub­born streak when it comes to court or­ders” and told him “you can’t be treated if we can’t find you.”

Paul I. Martin, 43, was con­victed of as­sault. He was given en­hanced credit on 20 days of pre­trial cus­tody and sen­tenced to time served.

Frank J. McIn­tosh, 32, was con­victed of as­sault­ing an­other man dur­ing an ar­gu­ment. He was given en­hanced credit on 67 days of pre­trial cus­tody, sen­tenced to a fur­ther 20 days in jail and pro­ba­tion for 12 months. As­sis­tant Crown at­tor­ney John Sko­ropada said McIn­tosh was with a woman in her bed­room in late Jan­uary when the woman’s long­time part­ner ar­rived home and walked in on them. The cou­ple had sep­a­rated about a month ear­lier, he told Jus­tice Larry O’Brien, but they still main­tained a res­i­dence to­gether, and the man of the house was not pleased to find McIn­tosh there. Sko­ropada said an ar­gu­ment en­sued and McIn­tosh struck the man. James Morris-An­der­son, 22, was con­victed of vi­o­lat­ing pro­ba­tion im­posed in April last year by fail­ing to re­port within two days of his re­lease from jail in early De­cem­ber, plus sub­se­quent il­le­gal pos­ses­sion of 113 grams of mar­i­juana for the pur­pose of traf­fick­ing and il­le­gal pos­ses­sion of two grams of metham­phetamine. He was given en­hanced credit on 109 days of pre­trial cus­tody and sen­tenced to time served. As­sis­tant Crown at­tor­ney John Sko­ropada said Morris-An­der­son was two days past his re­port­ing dead­line in De­cem­ber when Kingston Po­lice in­ves­ti­gat­ing a break-in com­plaint on Daly Street spot­ted him and an­other male in the vicin­ity. They both ran when a po­lice of­fi­cer tried to talk to them and, Jus­tice Larry O’Brien was told, they split up af­ter a short dis­tance. A pa­trol con­sta­ble, who hap­pened to be nearby, joined the pur­suit, Sko­ropada told the judge, and caught Morris-An­der­son, sub­se­quently search­ing his backpack and dis­cov­er­ing the mar­i­juana.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.