Ko­di­aks edged in a heated af­fair

Lethbridge Herald - - HERALD SPORTS - Dale Woodard LETHBRIDGE HERALD

It was a tough loss all around for the Lethbridge Col­lege Ko­diak’s men’s soc­cer team.

Ko­di­aks were handed a 2-1 loss in ex­tra time by the Medicine Hat Rat­tlers dur­ing Al­berta Col­leges Ath­letic Con­fer­ence play Satur­day af­ter­noon in Medicine Hat in a highly-phys­i­cal af­fair.

In a game where Ko­di­aks Jimmy Bukuru and Keaton Craig were dealt red cards, as­sis­tant coach Mark Pries was also tossed and some ap­par­ent phan­tom time at the end, Ko­di­aks head coach Sean Carey didn’t sugar-coat his as­sess­ment of the of­fi­ci­at­ing.

“It was prob­a­bly the most dis­grace­ful ref­er­ee­ing I think I’ve ever wit­nessed in my whole life in soc­cer,” he said. “My play­ers were not safe on the field. We got two red cards. The of­fi­ci­at­ing was very one-sided. My play­ers were not safe on the field and it was ex­tremely one way. The ref­eree was help­ing their play­ers up off the ground and the lines­men were snag­ging balls for them in the last cou­ple of min­utes to speed up play. It was very dis­ap­point­ing.”

With the teams dead­locked at 1-1 af­ter 90 min­utes, Carey said his team was told there would be three min­utes of added time.

They scored in the 95th minute to win the game,” he said. “They played five min­utes of ex­tra time, I don’t know where they got it from and they scored on the last kick of game.”

As of Satur­day night Ko­diak Wil­son Ntignee was headed to the hospi­tal to be checked for a pos­si­ble cracked rib fol­low­ing a


“It was not good. It was prob­a­bly one of the worst en­vi­ron­ments and games I’ve ever been in­volved in at the col­lege,” said Carey. “At this level of collegiate soc­cer, ref­er­ees like that should not be al­lowed to ref­eree a game at this level, es­pe­cially be­tween two ri­vals like Lethbridge and Medicine Hat.”

The Ko­di­aks struck first at the 30-minute mark when Pete Ntignee scored on a penalty kick.

Eleven min­utes later, Ro­drigo Tavares tied it up for Medicine Hat.

“We scored first on the PK and they tied it up on a free kick be­fore the half,” said Carey. “We ac­tu­ally set­tled down in the sec­ond half and started play­ing well and then Keaton got the red card for a sec­ond yel­low. We still tried to at­tack with 10 men and cre­ated a cou­ple of chances, but when we went down to nine with about five min­utes left it was just hang­ing on.”

In the women’s game, the Ko­di­aks were topped 4-1 by the Rat­tlers and are now 1-1-1, but Carey praised his charges for run­ning with the high-pow­ered Rat­tlers.

“So proud of th­ese girls,” he

said. “It was a good Medicine Hat team that we played against and I think Medicine Hat (can say) they had to play well to beat us. We con­ceded a goal in the first minute of both halves, which re­ally hurt. They have two fifth-year mid­field­ers and we have a cou­ple of first-years play­ing among them. It was a good learn­ing curve for th­ese girls. They’re proud of how they played to­day. They did not give up. It was 4-1 a minute into the sec­ond half and we played 45 min­utes of ball with them that was 0-0. The girls team just con­tin­ues to grow and find new ways (and show) re­solve and

char­ac­ter. I was feel­ing good af­ter the game. Medicine Hat has that team this year (that) has a lot of qual­ity on the field and they’re go­ing to chal­lenge for the ti­tle in the South Di­vi­sion.”

Vicki Noronha scored the sole Ko­di­aks goal in the 35th minute, while Brit­tany Klein made 16 saves.

The Ko­di­aks are back on the road next Satur­day when they head to Calgary to face the SAIT Tro­jans.

As a re­sult of their red cards in Medicine Hat, Bukuru and Craig are sus­pended and will sit out against SAIT.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.