Suspected pedophile arrested in Saint-lazare
Publication ban in place
ASaint-lazare man in his 60s was arrested late last month and charged with sexually molesting two young boys. The man, who cannot be identified due to a publication ban on details surrounding the case imposed by Quebec Court Judge Marie-chantal Doucet, is scheduled to appear at the Valleyfield courthouse April 3.
The ban was issued when the suspect first appeared in court on Jan. 27.
The man, who was granted bail with conditions, was charged in connection with the alleged molestation of two 8-yearold boys.
Meanwhile, a Saint-lazare town councillor who exchanged emails with a few concerned citizens that were later spread throughout the town and beyond may have landed the town in hot water with the judge, who could impose sanctions of the town.
District 2 Councillor Nathalie Richard, who participated in emails that included such details as the suspect’s name, address and the make and model of the car he drove, said she did so as a concerned mother, not a town councillor.
"I guess I learned the hard way," she said, adding, "Everything you do reflects on the city."
Richard would not comment further on the incident other than to say she would not want to falsely accuse anyone of molesting children. "People that are wrongly accused of that (crime) I feel such sympathy for them."