Plethora of craft fairs kicking off across region
Time to stock up on unique handmade gifts, goodies
SNov. 23 & 24
In an era of big box-store shopping for goods which usually come from the far flung corners of the world, local crafters, sewers, knitters, bakers and the like are gearing up to offer more personalized gifts and goodies as the holiday craft fair season kick’s into high gear during the next few weekends.
uch community fairs are a delight to attend not only for the variety of quality, homemade goods and foods they feature, but also for the festive holiday atmosphere they exude while leaving no doubt that the yuletide season is just around the corner. If you’ve never attended a community craft fair there’s no time like this season to take one in. And those who have little time for things like holiday baking can also stock up on a host of delectable baked goods, most of which freeze very well.
The following list is a sampling of some of the many fairs taking place during the coming weekends, as well as one fair, at John Abbott College, which will take place mid-week:
• Westwood Sr. & Jr. High School Craft Fair: Nov. 23, 10 a.m.-3 p.m., Westwood Jr. campus, 2800 rue du Bordelais, SaintLazare. More than 40 artisan tables, huge raffle, café, babysitting, bake sale, used book sale, CD’s, games, DVD’s, and more.
• Cercle de Fermières Des Coteaux Craft Fair, Nov. 23 & 24, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Community Centre Les Coteaux, 121 rue Principale, Les Coteaux (exit 12 off Hwy. 20.) Gifts, handmade items and pastries prepared by fermières, as well as a second floor restaurant.
• St. Mary’s Sewing Circle Christmas Bazaar. Nov. 23, 9 a.m.-12 p.m., St. Mary’s Parish Hall, 261 Main Rd., Hudson. Come early for coffee, muffins and the famous chicken pot pies, Christmas cakes and Christmas puddings. Baked goods table, sewing table, plants, attic treasures. A basket for draw. Christmas puddings can be ordered in advance: 450-458-5471.
• The Saint Thomas Ladies Auxiliary Christmas & Craft Sale: Nov. 23, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. St. Thomas Church, Reid Hall, 413 Main Rd., Hudson. Arts & crafts, Christmas decorations and knitwear, bake table and coffee shop. Traditional gourmet basket. Very affordable prices.
• Les Amis de la Culture de Rigaud L’Art en Cadeau, Nov. 24, 12 p.m. - 4 p.m., Galerie Le Botryche, 19 St.Jean-Baptiste, Rigaud. As many as 2,000 holiday goods handmade by regional artists: the perfect gift is a work of art. 450 451 6583.
Nov. 26 & 27
John Abbott Christmas Craft Fair, Nov. 26 & 27, 9:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., John Abbott College Agora, 21275 Lakeshore Rd, Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue. As many as 24 crafters will sell jewelry, knitted items, teas, home-baked goods, and more.
Nov. 29 & 30
• Pierre Elliott Trudeau Elementary School Craft Fair, Nov. 29, 4 p.m. - 7 p.m. 490 Bourget Rd., Vaudreuil-Dorion. Various holiday themed goods for sale.
• Edgewater Elementary School Craft Fair, Nov. 30, 10 a.m.- 3 p.m., 220 Cardinal Leger Blvd., Pincourt. Various artisans, children’s activities, café and much more.
• The Evergreen Elementary School Craft Fair, Dec. 7, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2625 rue du Bordelais, Saint-Lazare. Plenty of holiday goodies, crafts, and more.