Hudson fire leaves 25 homeless
Water time questioned
Philippe Baron, Hudson Fire Department Director, said firefighters received the call at 6:50 p.m. on May 4.
“The call was for an alarm in the building,” Baron said Monday morning while standing just outside the taped-off perimeter of the heavily damaged building that was home to many elderly Hudson residents.
The fire, which is believed to have started in a second floor apartment, was fully engaged at the front of the building when firefighters arrived, he added.
The residents safely escaped the building, though reports indicate at least one pet, a cat, died in the fire that was extinguished at around 5 a.m. Monday.
In addition, a Hudson firefighter was treated in hospital and soon released for what Baron said were minor injuries.
Firefighters from Rigaud, St. Lazare, Vaudreuil-Dorion, Pincourt and Ste. Marthe also responded to help battle the blaze.
Baron could not say how long it took firefighters to get on scene even though the apartment building is situated almost across the street from the fire station.
At least one resident who was standing near the burned out building Monday questioned the length of time firefighters to get water onto the burning building.
“They took so much time, almost 30 minutes to get the water going... they seemed to be having trouble with the water,” the agitated man said. “The first time they went into the building it was with fire extinguishers.... someone could
Twenty-five Hudson residents were forced from their homes and left homeless Sunday evening when a 15-unit apartment building located along Main Rd., just across the street from the fire station, was engulfed in flames.
have died,” he said before quickly walking away.
Baron could not confirm or deny if there was a problem with the water.
Help from friends and stranger
Baron said each evacuated resident was taken in by friends or family Sunday night, which was rainy and cool.
“We called in the Red Cross and they responded but everyone found their own place to stay,” he said.
Meanwhile, Brunet Pharmacy in Hudson, situated just down the road from the burned-out building, opened its doors to the evacuated residents.
Owner Michel Najm said he re-opened the store, which had closed at 6 p.m., to give victims a warm place to wait.
“That’s what community is all about,” he said.
Najm was able to dispense prescription medications such as asthma inhalers, blood pressure pills and more, to residents who had files at the store, while he also handed out necessities like toothbrushes, toothpaste and shampoo free of charge.
He said many of those evacuated were clearly in shock.
“They were completely devastated” he noted, adding some residents will probably need follow-up psychological services to deal with the loss. The second floor of the building is destroyed, Baron said, adding, the first floor suffered water and smoke damage. Firefighters were able to recover some personal items from the building.
Hudson firefighters continued to investigate the blaze Monday