TTC app led to sus­pect’s ar­rest

Metro Canada (Toronto) - - TORONTO -

The TTC is cred­it­ing its new smart­phone app for fa­cil­i­tat­ing the ar­rest of a man sus­pected of two sex­ual as­saults on the sub­way sys­tem.

The agency launched the SAFETTC app last month, and ac­cord­ing to spokesper­son Brad Ross, this marks the first time it has aided in an ar­rest.

The first in­ci­dent oc­curred on March 28 at York Mills sta­tion. The sec­ond in­ci­dent took place at St. An­drew sta­tion on Sept. 24. Ross said the vic­tim in the sec­ond in­ci­dent re­ported the al­leged as­sault via the SAFETTC app.

Tran­sit con­trol alerted TTC spe­cial con­sta­bles, Ross said. The TTC re­viewed sur­veil­lance footage and iden­ti­fied the sus­pect in the sec­ond in­ci­dent as the same per­son who al­legedly com­mit­ted the as­sault in March. Po­lice said that on Tues­day, tran­sit of­fi­cers at Bloor-yonge sta­tion spot­ted the sus­pect and ar­rested him.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.