Crane climber breaks silence
Marisa Lazo, who was dramatically rescued from a downtown Toronto crane last year, received an absolute discharge late last month after pleading guilty to two counts of mischief.
While Lazo’s crane climb captured international attention, her guilty plea escaped the media glare after her lawyer vacated a scheduled Jan. 10 court date in the Ontario Court of Justice.
The Crown withdrew four counts of mischief.
Lazo, 23, read a lengthy and tearful apology in court that included some insight into why she scaled a construction crane at 50 Wellesley St. E. at 3:10 a.m. on April 26, according to an audio recording of the court proceeding.
“It was a terrible mistake. I’m ashamed and embarrassed and did not see all the harm that I caused,” Lazo told court Dec. 29.
The George Brown architecture studies student said she knew what she was doing was “wrong and dangerous.”
Lazo said she was struggling with her mental health, abusing alcohol and avoiding getting the help she needed. After a night of drinking, and feeling alone and isolated, Lazo said she was walking by the construction site when she “impulsively decided” to hop a fence and scale the crane.
“I thought it would make me feel more alive and would be exciting,” she told the court.