Kale Mac and Cheese
Your favourite childhood meal just got a makeover. Don’t worry, we promise it’s still as delicious as ever.
Prep time: 50 minutes
• 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
• 2 Tbsp spelt flour
• 4 cups spelt elbow macaroni
• 1/4 cup low sodium chicken stock
• 1 1/2 cups milk
• 1 cup shaved cheddar cheese
• 1 1/2 cups shaved Monterey Jack cheese, divided
• 1 tsp Dijon mustard
• 1 cup frozen chopped kale
• 1/4 tsp nutmeg
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. 2. In a medium size saucepan, melt butter over medium low heat. Add flour and whisk.
3. cook pasta according to package directions.
4. Add chicken stock and milk and allow to simmer for 5 minutes so mixture can slowly thicken, stirring occasionally. lower heat and add mustard, cheddar and 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese. Mix until cheeses have melted and mustard is combined. Add kale, nutmeg and salt; stir until warmed and mixed together, about 2 minutes.
5. Place cooked pasta into medium size casserole dish and mix in cheese sauce, being sure to coat all the pasta. Sprinkle the top with the remaining Monterey Jack cheese and then top with bread crumbs. bake for 30 minutes, or until cheese sauce is bubbling and edges are a golden brown.
FOR MORE MEAL IDEAS, VISIT SWeeTPOTATOchRONIcleS.cOM