Test your garden knowledge
Are you a savvy fall gardener, or do you have some changes to make to your routine next year? Test your knowledge by answering true or false to the following questions.
1. Dead annuals left in the garden over winter will rot and infect the soil.
2. Leaving the dead stems on perennials protects the crowns during the winter.
3. Make sure you rake all leaves out of your garden beds for a healthy garden.
4. Remove blooms of goldenrod before they go to seed to prevent allergies.
5. Ragweed pollen is strongest near the plants first thing in the morning.
6. The end of August is too late in the season to plant anything you’ll benefit from this year.
7. Chrysanthemums bloom late in the season because they prefer cooler temperatures.
8. Fall is the time to divide all perennials that need to be divided.
9. Never store tomatoes in the refrigerator.
10. You can start a new garden this fall out of the newspaper.
Check your answers online at localgardener.net.
When do Chrysanthemums prefer to bloom?