Two firefighters fall through floor of home
One placed in induced coma, other escapes injury
Two Ottawa volunteer firefighters plunged through the floor of a Stittsville house on Monday while battling a massive blaze that erupted in a basement electrical panel, prompting an emergency rescue operation.
The two were helping to rescue a resident at 24 Snowberry Way when they fell. The resident, a man whose name was not released, was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.
Fire Chief Gerry Pingitore said the two firefighters were making their way to the source of the fire when the floor collapsed.
“One firefighter was able to selfrescue. The other firefighter could not,” he said.
The firefighter who saved himself climbed up a fire hose. A rapid intervention team pulled the second firefighter, who was unresponsive and in critical condition, to safety.
Both men were taken by paramedics to the Queensway-Carleton Hospital.
Pingitore said the unconscious firefighter “was fully … alert when he arrived at the hospital … indicating that he knew what happened” before he was placed in an induced coma. He was in stable condition Monday night. The first firefighter was expected to leave the hospital with no injuries.
Firefighters battle a blaze at a house on Snowberry Way in Stittsville on Monday. A resident was treated for smoke inhalation.