Cool things to do in our community
Friday, September 15
• Kelso Entertainment presents “Country Icons,” featuring tributes to Alan Jackson, Merle Haggard and Waylon Jennings, 7 p.m. at the Cleland Theatre, all tickets are $40, available from the Penticton Community Centre box office
• 5th annual Diamonds on the Deck at Red Rooster Winery, 4:30 p.m., 50 includes wine, appetizers, door prizes and a champagne toast with a chance to win a diamond from Don Nguyen of Gold Dust Jewellers, presented by Rotary Club of Penticton, proceeds to Penticton Youth Resource Centre, tickets available from Minuteman Press and RBC Dominion Securities at 101-100 Front Street
• Okanagan Yoga Festival on the sacred lands of the Nk’Mip at Spirit Ridge Resort in Osoyoos, yoga, culture, adventure, wine tasting, featuring Shauna Nyrose, Laura Martini, Roz Huber, Reno Muenz, Taylor Morrice, Kristen Stuart, Andrew Misle, Tara Greer, Kelly Day, Rachelle Welda, Yinet Gonzalez Gomez, Sommelier, Mayuko Dauden and music by DJ Sol Rising, for more information: www.okanaganyogafestival.com
• Fraternal Order of Eagles, dinner, 5 p.m., live music with Search Light Down, 7 p.m.
• Army Navy and Air Force Veterans in Canada, karaoke with Candie, 7:30 p.m.
• Summerland Quest Society for Hearing Enhancement is holding a Quiz Night at the Summerland Legion, doors open at 6 p.m., teams of 4 -6 people ($25 per person, includes dinner and prizes), all proceeds to enhancing lives of adults and children with speech annd hearing challenges, tickets available from The Beanery and the Summerland Legion
• Free hypnosis relaxation session with Bob Kittle, CH.t, South Main Drop In Centre, 11:45 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. call 250-4882723 for details
• “Raft, a Rock Opera,” a musical, Rotary Centre for the Arts in Kelowna, 7:30 p.m., $30 (adults), $25 (students and seniors), cast members include: Dustin McGifford, Annie Scott, Anne Ramey, Cal Meiklejohn, Jay Demetrick, Alex Holzhaus, Sean Singleton, Martin Pedersen, Beth Scott, and Scott Parkin for tickets:: rotarycentreforthearts.com or phone 250-717-5304
• Propsera Cinema presents Under the Stars family movie with “Moana,” free, Penticton’s Gyro Park, 6 p.m.
• Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 40, fish and chips, 11:30 a.m.
• South Main Drop-In Centre, bocce, 8:45 a.m., yoga, 9 a.m., Mah Jong intermediate, 12:30 p.m., beginner plus line dance, 1 p.m., novice line dance, 3:15 p.m., meditation, 4 5 p.m., evening dance, featuring Glory Days, 7 - 9:30 p.m. (note new times), everyone welcomed
• “Real Estate,” presented by Many Hats Theatre Co., starring Adele McNary, Chuck Peeren, Vance Potter, Jane Stead, 8 p.m., The Cannery Stage, $25 (adults) and $22 (students and seniors), available from The Nest & Nectar box office at 301-1475 Fairview Road or: 250-493-7275
• The Dream Cafe presents bluesmen Jim Byrnes and Lindsay Mitchell, 8 p.m., $40 (premium) and $25, call 250-490-9012 or purchase online at www.thedreamcafe.ca
• Medici’s Friday Night Live in Oliver, the valley’s killer live music gig, open mic format, 522 Fairview Road, 7 p.m., call 250498-2228 for details
• Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 227, Okanagan Falls, meat draw and 50/50 draw, 4 p.m., followed by spaghetti supper with garlic bread ($7), and music with Lucy Blue and the Boys, 7 p.m.
• Horse racing wagering, daily at Clancy’s Pub, Grill & Pizza, ages 19 and over
• Penticton Speedway presents Eve of Destruction, hornets, street stocks, hit-2pass, sponsored by Pacific Rim, 7 p.m., located 5 kms east past the hospital on Carmi Avenue in Penticton
• Now playing at Landmark Cinemas 7: “Mother,” (14A, 120 minutes); “American Assassin,” (18A, 111 minutes); “All Saints,” (PG, 108 minutes); “Home Again,” (PG, 97 minutes); “It,” (14A, 135 minutes); “Wind River,” (18A, 107 minutes); “The Hitman's Bodyguard,” (14A, 118 minutes); “Cars 3,” (G, 102 minutes).
• Now playing at the Oliver Theatre: “The Hitman/s Bodyguard” (Friday-Tuesday)
Saturday, September 16
• I Love the ‘90s Tour featuring Vanilla Ice, Salt N Pepa with Spinderella, Rob Base, Young MC, C&C Music Factory with Freedom Williams, South Okanagan Events Centre, 7:30 p.m., tickets are $95, $75, $65, $49 (plus tax and service charge), for tickets visit SOEC box office, online at: ValleyFirstTix.com or phone 1-877-763-2849
• Okanagan Gleaners Fall Fair and Open House, noon - 4 p.m., 507 No. 3 Road, off Highway 97, south of Oliver, by donation, featuring live music, food and beverages, a silent auction, plant tours, children’s activites, and an opportunity to sample the Gleaners soup mix
• Dinner and show featuring Darrell Douglas in a tribute to Elvis remembering the 40-year annivesary of his death and special guest Terri Bremner (pop/country music), 6 p.m., Fraternal Order of Eagles (social hour begins at 5 p.m.), $45, fundraiser for B.C. Children’s Hospital cancer research department, purchase by phone at 250-492-6242 (all welcomed!)
• Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 227 in Okanagan Falls, Candlelight Ceremony at Okanagan Falls Cemetery, 1 p.m., children may come and help lay candles at the graves of veterans; meat draw and 50/50, 4 p.m.
• Penticton Art Gallery presents Sacred Music and Dance, 3 p.m., $20, and 7:30 p.m., $35, Drepung Loseling monks perform ancient temple music and dance intended to kindle world healing
• Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 40, cribbage, 10 a.m., meat draw and LA 50/50 draw, 2 p.m.
• Okanagan Yoga Festival on the sacred lands of the Nk’Mip at Spirit Ridge Resort in Osoyoos, yoga, culture, adventure, wine tasting, for details visit: www.okanaganyogafestival.com
• The 2nd annual Home Brewing Competition, a Camra So Event, 2 - 6 p.m., Square One Hop Groweres, 1166 Davenport Ave., free tickets from Eventbrite
• Official opening of Forest and Stream art show at Front Street Gallery, meet artist Joe Enns, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
• Final Day: “Raft, a Rock Opera,” a musical by Randall Robinson and Pat Brown, featuring multiple cast members from the South Okanagan, Rotary Centre for the Arts in Kelowna, 2 p.m. matinee and 7:30 p.m., $30 (adults), $25 (students and seniors), purchase online at rotarycentreforthearts.com or phone 250-717-5304
• Army Navy and Air Force Veterans of Canada, dance with Roland Allen, 6:30 p.m.
• Downtown Penticton Association and Penticton Farmers Market, 8:30 a.m. 1 p.m., in downtown Penticton
• Penticton Elks Lodge No. 51, cribbage, 10 a.m., early bird meat draw, 4 p.m., regular meat draw, 4:30 p.m., dinner, 5:30 p.m., karaoke with Anita LeBlanc and Pookey, largest song book in the valley, featuring tribute to Tina Turner, 6:30 p.m., happy 89th birthday drop-in for long-time Elks member Bill Coffin
Sunday, September 17
• 2017 Emmy Awards hosted by Stephen Colbert (CBS, 5 p.m. PT).
• Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 40 branch pancake breakfast, 502 Martin Street, 8:30 a.m. - noon, meat draw and 50/50 draws, 2 p.m.
• Terry Fox Run, 10 a.m., beginning and ending at the SS Sicamous
• 30th annual OMTS Toy Run,begins at 9 a.m., Rotary Park in Penticton, toy drops at Summerland Secondary School, 10:15 a.m.; A&W in Oliver, 11:30 a.m., Okanagan Falls IGA, 12:15 p.m., burger and fun at the finish line at Rotary Park, 1 p.m., all proceeds to St. Vincent de Paul, call Ray Colmer at 250-809-4757 or email: email@example.com
• Penticton Art Gallery presents closing ceremonies, the monks will dismantle the mandala, sweeping up the coloured sands to symbolize the importance of life, 4 p.m., free
• Live Music Sundays at the Cannery Brewing Co., 198 Ellis Street, 6 - 8 p.m., no cover charge, tonight: Aaron Goodwin
• Final Day: Okanagan Yoga Festival on the sacred lands of the Nk’Mip at Spirit Ridge Resort in Osoyoos, yoga, culture, adventure, wine tasting, for details visit: www.okanaganyogafestival.com
• Sunday dinner series at the Keremeos Grist Mill served family style featuring fresh, local, seasonal ingredients. Tickets are $25 and available in advance only at the Grist Mill or online at www.oldgristmill.ca.
• Great Train Robbery and BBQ event with the Garnett Valley Gang at Kettle Valley Steam Railway, 1:30 and 4 p.m.. $57 ($27 for ages 12 and under), includes baron of beef, chicken BBQ with live music, to book call 250-494-8424 or: www.kettlevalleyrail.org
• Army Navy and Air Force Veterans of Canada, barbecue, noon, horse races, meat draw and 50/50s, 1 p.m.
• Auditions for “The Secret Garden: The Musical” by Lucy Simon and Marsha Norman, presented by Soundstage Productions, 1 -5:30 p.m., Penticton Lakeside Resort ballroom, for details: www.soundstageproductions.com or phone Lynne Leydier at 250-493-9787
• “Real Estate,” presented by Many Hats Theatre Co., 2 p.m. matinee at The Cannery Stage, tickets available from The Nest & Nectar or phone: 250-493-7275
• Jazz Vespers returns, September Sizzle featuring Andy Gabrys, Stefan Bienz, Mike Treadway, Larry Crawford, Debi Johnson, 4:30 p.m., St. Saviour’s Anglican Church, Orchard Ave., freewill offering
• Social dance at South Main Drop-In Centre with a DJ playing all the great dance songs of all-time, 7 p.m., all ages and abilities are welcomed to dance on Penticton’s largest floor
• Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 227, Okanagan Falls, pancake breakfast, 8 - 11 a.m., $6; fun Sunday with bingo and more, 1 p.m.
• Single Baby Boomers living in the South Okanagan are invited to a potluck picnic, weather permitting, for location and details call 250-488-5382 or 250-492-5195 or join Boomer’s Social Group Penticton
• Okanagan Similkameen Stewardship, TD Friends of the Environment Foundation and the City of Penticton present 8th annual TD Tree Days, Riverside Park in Penticton, 10 a.m. - 1 p.m., to register to volunteer visit www.tdtreedays.com or phone Alyson Skinner at 250-809-1980
A dinner/dance in support of B.C. Children’s Hospital featuring Darrel Douglas as Elvis Presley will be held Saturday at the Fraternal Order of Eagles. Call 250-492-6242 for tickets. Great food! Great music!
Vanilla Ice is headlining the I Love the 90s tour, Saturday at the South Okanagan Events Centre featuring an all-star line-up of hiphop artists.