Alberta RCMP detachment outlines Internet safety tips for families
The Cochrane RCMP would like to increase the awareness of internet use and safety practices for families. The RCMP want parents to be proactive to protect children from online exploitation. Here are helpful tips to assist parents: · Be open with your children and have respect for one another.
· Know the apps or sites your children are using.
· Have computers, IPads and phones in a common area where you're able to observe what they are doing.
· Remind kids to never share personal info with strangers this could leave them open to manipulation and mistreatment.
· Discuss the difference between healthy and unhealthy relationships.
·Discuss the types of problems that may arise from sharing private and intimate information electronically, including pictures and videos.
· Know who they are talking to – have you met them in person and do you have their contact information? Anyone can be anyone on the internet.
· Explain to your children, adults should not try to become friends with them or ask them inappropriate questions. If this occurs, it is NOT safe and they should tell a safe adult.
· Tell your children to never arrange for a one-on-one meeting with anyone they meet online.