No. 6 El­e­men­tary Fly­ing Train­ing School

Prince Albert Daily Herald - - SATURDAY EXTRA -

Nine ac­ci­dents killed five in­struc­tors and nine students at the No. 6 El­e­men­tary Fly­ing School in Prince Al­bert dur­ing its op­er­a­tion from July 22, 1940 un­til it closed Novem­ber 15, 1944.

June 21, 1941 — Sgt. Dou­glas E. Hall was killed in­stantly when the Tiger Moth air­craft he was in crashed af­ter fall­ing out of con­trol at 7:45 p.m. at Round Lake, 16 miles north­west of Prince Al­bert. At the time, he was in­struct­ing lead­ing air­craft­man D. H. Read who was se­ri­ously injured, but sur­vived. Hall, 29, was due to leave shortly for over­seas ser­vice as a com­mis­sioned of­fi­cer. Hall was the son of Wil­liam and Mar­garet Hall of Danville, Que. He is in­terred at Danville Protes­tant Ceme­tery in Danville.

July 27, 1941 — Lead­ing air­craft­man Robert H. Hen­drix lost his life in a drown­ing ac­ci­dent at Waske­siu Lake. He suc­cumbed to a seizure while swim­ming with his twin brother, LAC Ralph M. Hen­drix, and fel­low Amer­i­can students LAC S. M. Ben­ford of Florida and LAC W. Alsworth of Texas. Hen­drix, 20, was the son of Wil­liam and Mary Hen­drix of Walsen­burg, Colorado. He is in­terred at the Ma­sonic Ceme­tery in Walsen­burg.

Au­gust 15, 1942 — Lead­ing air­craft­man Philip Gor­don Cameron was elec­tro­cuted when the air­craft he was fly­ing with his in­struc­tor hit high-ten­sion wires. They were at­tempt­ing a night land­ing at 2:15 a.m. west of Melfort. Cameron, 23, was killed in­stantly. He was the son of Gor­don and Del­phine Cameron of Sham­rock, Sask. He is in­terred in the St. Charles Ceme­tery in Coderre, Sask. Cameron Lake in north­ern Saskatchewan is named in his mem­ory.

Oc­to­ber 25, 1942 — Lead­ing air­craft­man Lloyd Regi­nald Alexan­der Burns was killed as the re­sult of a mid-air col­li­sion dur­ing for­ma­tion train­ing north­east of White Star, north of Prince Al­bert. The 20-yearold stu­dent was solo at the time. The stu­dent pi­lot of the other air­craft parachuted to safety. Burns was the son of Thomas and Ethel Burns of Van­cou­ver. He is in­terred at Ocean View Burial Park in Burn­aby, B.C.

July 20, 1943 — Thirty-fouryearfly­ing of­fi­cer Harold Mathew Pet­ti­grew and his 32-yearold stu­dent, lead­ing air­craft­man Charles McNaughton Miller, were killed in a crash six miles west of Prince Al­bert. Pet­ti­grew had been in­struct­ing at the school since Septem­ber, 1942. He was the son of Bernard and An­nie Pet­ti­grew of Hamil­ton, Ont. He is in­terred at East­lawn Ceme­tery in Hamil­ton.

Miller was one week from grad­u­at­ing the EFTS course. He was the son of Wil­liam and Mary Ann Miller, hus­band of Cather­ine Miller and fa­ther of a two-year-old son, all of St. Vi­tal, Man. He is in­terred at Elmwood Ceme­tery in Win­nipeg.

Septem­ber 16, 1943 — Twenty-year-old lead­ing air­craft­man Ver­non Rus­sell Miller was on a solo train­ing ex­er­cise when he crashed 20 miles north­west of Prince Al­bert. He was the son of Rus­sell Dun­can and Ena R. Miller of Smeaton. He is in­terred at Southill Ceme­tery in Prince Al­bert.

Septem­ber 23, 1943 — Lead­ing Air­craft­man Leonard Ray­mond Meere was the solo pi­lot when his air­craft dived into the ground at high speed, five miles north of Prince Al­bert, killing him in­stantly. He was the 19-year-old son of Thomas and Edith Meere of Sar­nia, Ont. He is in­terred at Lake­view Ceme­tery in Sar­nia.

Novem­ber 24, 1943 — A midair col­li­sion be­tween two Tiger Moth air­craft took the lives of four air­men, in­clud­ing two in­struc­tors and two students.

Pi­lot Of­fi­cer John Stan­ley But­ler was the 26-year-old in­struc­tor of one air­craft and had been sta­tioned in Prince Al­bert since March. He was the son of Wil­liam John But­ler of Oril­lia, On­tario and was hus­band to Etoile V. But­ler of Detroit, Mich., who was re­sid­ing in Prince Al­bert. But­ler is in­terred at For­est Lawn Ceme­tery in Detroit.

The other in­struc­tor was 26year-old fly­ing of­fi­cer Ralph Ni­co­laus Grest. Se­ri­ously injured, Grest es­caped the crash by para­chute. How­ever, he suc­cumbed to his in­juries 10 days later. He was the son of Ni­co­laus and Ly­dia Grest of Hum­boldt, and hus­band of Dorothy Grest of Maid­stone. He is in­terred at the Wa­trous Ceme­tery. Grest Bay on Highrock Lake in north­ern Saskatchewan is named in his mem­ory.

Lead­ing air­craft­man Paul Roger McLean was the 20-year-old stu­dent in one plane. He was the son of Martin and Greeta McLean of Toronto, Ont. He is in­terred at Mount Hope Ceme­tery in Toronto.

Lead­ing Air­craft­man Ed­ward Guyon Hen­der­son was the 19-yearold stu­dent in the other plane. He was the son of Roland and Euphemia Hen­der­son of Wind­sor, Ont. He was a grad­u­ate of J. C. Pat­ter­son Col­le­giate in Wind­sor. Just months be­fore his death, Hen­der­son had been re­fused ser­vice in a down­town Wind­sor res­tau­rant be­cause they did not serve “coloured peo­ple.” He is in­terred at Grove Ceme­tery in Wind­sor.

June 17, 1944 — The last ac­ci­dent in the school’s his­tory took the lives of an in­struc­tor and stu­dent. It oc­curred seven miles north of Prince Al­bert and was the re­sult of an in-flight break up of their Fairchild Cor­nell air­plane. The right wing sep­a­rated from the air­craft dur­ing spin train­ing.

The in­struc­tor was 28-year-old flight Lt. Dou­glas Harold “Hal” Burr. He was the son of Fred­er­ick and Mary Burr of Van­cou­ver and hus­band of Euphemia Mar­quis Burr of Kelowna, B.C. He is in­terred at Kelowna Memo­rial Park Ceme­tery.

The stu­dent was 21-year-old lead­ing air­craft­man Elmer Stephen

Beingess­ner. He was the son of Frank and Mary Beingess­ner of Brant, Alta. He is in­terred at High­wood Ceme­tery in High River, Alta.

No. 6 Air Ob­server School

There was one ac­ci­dent at the No. 6 Air Ob­server School in the 18 months that the school op­er­ated at Prince Al­bert from March 17, 1941 to Septem­ber 11, 1942. Four peo­ple lost their lives on the night of March 18, 1942. Avro An­son Mk. 1 R9740 crashed at 8:30 p.m., 40 miles south­east of Prince Al­bert (six miles south of Kin­istino) dur­ing a night nav­i­ga­tion ex­er­cise.

Glen Ken­neth “Doc” Hyer was a 34-year-old civil­ian in­struc­tor who had been at the school since June, 1941. He was the son of Dr. Irv­ing and Maude Hyer of Clarendon, Pa. He was liv­ing in Prince Al­bert with his wife, He­len Ann Hyer, and their chil­dren Craig and Den­nis. He is in­terred at Oak­land Ceme­tery in War­ren, Pa.

Fly­ing of­fi­cer Olav Al­fred Ness, 33, was the nav­i­ga­tion in­struc­tor. He had been in­struct­ing at the school for sev­eral months and was re­sid­ing in Prince Al­bert with his wife Pearl.

He was the son of John and Gunda Ness of Stur­gis, Sask. He is in­terred at Wood­lawn Ceme­tery in Saska­toon. The two stu­dent ob­servers were: Lead­ing air­craft­man Har­vey Wil­liam Hurst, 20. He was the son of Alta. and Ida Hurst of Graven­hurst, Ont.

He is in­terred at Lake­view Ceme­tery in Graven­hurst.

Lead­ing air­craft­man Cyril Sa­muel Lapp, 27. He was the son of Sa­muel and Mary Lapp and hus­band of Mil­dred Lapp of Dun­nville, Ont. He is in­terred at Riverside Ceme­tery in Dun­nville.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.