Carl­ton rides to vic­tory

Cru­saders score 22 unan­swered points in win over Bed­ford Road

Prince Albert Daily Herald - - SPORTS - JA­SON KERR @ker­r_­jas • ja­son.kerr@pa­her­

The Carl­ton Cru­saders are of­fi­cially in the win col­umn.

The Cru­sader of­fence scored 22 unan­swered points while the de­fence pro­duced four sec­ond half turnovers on route to a 36-14 vic­tory over the vis­it­ing Bed­ford Road Red­hawks on Fri­day.

The win gives Carl­ton a 1-3 record on the sea­son, and a boost of con­fi­dence head­ing into the fi­nal stretch.

“It wasn’t al­ways how we scripted it at times,” Cru­sader head coach Lind­say Strachan chuck­led af­ter the game. “There’s def­i­nitely some things to clean up head­ing into next week, but it’s def­i­nitely nice to get the first one un­der our belt.”

Fri­day’s game at Max Clu­nie Field looked to be over early, when Carl­ton built a 14-0 lead on the strength of two rush­ing touch­downs from quar­ter­back Jac­ques Lavoie. How­ever, Bed­ford Road ral­lied for two late first half scores, in­clud­ing a touch­down on the last play of the sec­ond quar­ter, to tie things up head­ing into half­time.

That would be the lone of­fen­sive out­burst for the vis­i­tors, as the Cru­sader de­fence held fast for the rest of the game.

Line­backer Inesh Rai and de­fen­sive back Daniel Dupre both recorded in­ter­cep­tions, while Con­ner San­gret and Owen Davies each re­cov­ered a fum­ble. The turnovers re­sulted in plenty of prime field po­si­tion for the Carl­ton of­fense, which didn’t hes­i­tate to put it to good use.

Strachan cred­ited the de­fence with step­ping up their play in the sec­ond half, es­pe­cially against the Red­hawk pass­ing at­tack.

“That’s where we were get­ting hurt— through the air—in the first half. We moved a cou­ple of peo­ple around and got a lit­tle bit more pres­sure, which was needed, and we fi­nally had a cou­ple plays on the ball when it was in the air too.”

The Cru­saders took the lead for good on their first se­ries of the sec­ond half when Lavoie plunged across the goal line on a quar­ter­back sneak for this third rush­ing touch­down of the game. The ex­tra point was no good, giv­ing Carl­ton a 20-14 lead.

Af­ter a safety made it 22-14 Carl­ton, Bran­don Per­reault added an­other rush­ing touch­down when he rum­bled in from four yards out early in the fourth quar­ter.

The score re­mained 29-14 un­til the fi­nal minutes, when Owen Davies iced the game of the Cru­saders with a two­yard rush­ing touch­down.

Al­though all Carl­ton touch­downs came along the ground, Strachan said both facets of the of­fence de­served credit.

“I think one of the big things tonight was just balance,” he said. “I thought we were ef­fec­tive both on the ground and in the air, which is a key for our suc­cess.” The Cru­saders are back in ac­tion on Thurs­day, Oct. 5 when they take on Mount Royal Col­le­giate at Max Clu­nie Field. Game time is 6:30 p.m.


A trio of Carl­ton Cru­sader de­fend­ers swarms a Bed­ford Road ball car­rier dur­ing high school football ac­tion at Max Clu­nie Field on Fri­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.