Cru­saders roll over Mount Royal

Carl­ton uses of­fen­sive ex­plo­sion to down vis­i­tors in high school foot­ball ac­tion

Prince Albert Daily Herald - - SPORTS - JA­SON KERR

It took a few min­utes for the Carl­ton Cru­saders to get rolling on Thurs­day, but when they did they were prac­ti­cally un­stop­pable.

The Cru­saders torched the vis­it­ing Mount Royal Mus­tangs for eight touch­downs, in­clud­ing four in the se­cond quar­ter, on route to a 58-13 vic­tory at Max Clu­nie Field.

Af­ter the game, Carl­ton head coach Lind­say Strachan praised his squad for their abil­ity to fight through some early ob­sta­cles.

“The open­ing drive I think we put the ball on the ground three times, which is a bad game in most cases, let alone a bad drive, but af­ter that we bounced back,” Strachan said. “We put points up on the board, threw the ball well, ran it, and once again we were pretty bal­anced tonight, which is in our favour.”

Af­ter tak­ing an early 2-0 lead on a safety, the Cru­saders ex­tended their ad­van­tage when quar­ter­back Jac­ques Lavoie plunged across the goal line for a three-yard rush­ing touch­down. Lavoie scored his se­cond touch­down of the game a few min­utes later, putting the Cru­saders up 15-0 af­ter the first quar­ter.

Mount Royal made a quick come­back early in the se­cond when quar­ter­back Alex Shin­goose hit a re­ceiver for a 108yard touch­down pass to make it 15-7. Af­ter an 18-yard sin­gle made it 16-7 Carl­ton, the Mus­tangs struck again for an­other long touch­down, this one from 74-yards out. A failed ex­tra point at­tempt left the score 16-13 Cru­saders.

The se­cond quar­ter points would be the last of the game for the vis­i­tors, but the home side was just get­ting started. By the end of the first half, touch­downs from Lavoie, Ai­den Zwack, Kael Leach­man and Bran­don Per­reault gave the Cru­saders a big 44-13 lead head­ing into the break.

“I thought the guys re­sponded and did what we had to do, es­pe­cially since they kind of jumped back into the game all of a sud­den out of nowhere,” Strachan said. “Of­fen­sively, we just kept putting points up and plug­ging away.”

Af­ter a score­less third quar­ter, the Cru­saders ex­tended their lead again in the fourth. Ethan Cartier rum­bled across the goal line from five yards out be­fore Owen Davies capped off a short drive with an­other rush­ing touch­down in the fi­nal min­utes.

Thurs­day’s game gave Carl­ton’s re­serve play­ers plenty of game time. Strachan said he was pleased with what he saw.

“That’s the ad­van­tage of some of these games. It’s an op­por­tu­nity to play some of these guys,” Strachan said. “Cody Hunt­ley went in and played quar­ter­back in the se­cond half for us, which hasn’t hap­pened at all this year and did a fine job for us. We moved some o-line­man around and a cou­ple of re­ceivers. That’s our guys learn­ing (and) get­ting on the field.”

The Cru­saders are off un­til Oct. 12 when they take on the St. Joseph Guardians in their fi­nal home game of the 2017 sea­son. Kick-off is 6:30 p.m. at Max Clu­nie Field.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.