The Saint Class Tugs
In the 1950’ss the RCN built three large Saint Class tugs, Saint Anthony, Saint John and Saint Charles, to be manned by naval personnel and armed with two 40MM Bofors single mounts. Saint Anthony and Saint John were built by Saint John Drydock and Saint Charles by Davie in Lauzon. Soon after delivery, it was decided the trio would be civilian manned with the planned armament removed. Saint Anthony was assigned to the Pacific and based in Esquimalt, while the other two went to Halifax.
The three spent most of their time in service on target towing duty for surface ships and would often deploy to support the fleet on major exercises. RCN veteran Dave Stephens remembers, "We had Saint Charles as a duty boat in St. Thomas while on Bonaventure." Fellow veteran Bill Puff recalls, "Saint Anthony was charged with towing the submarine Grilse after decommissioning had trouble with the tow, and they had to bring her and the Grilse back, and a skeleton crew finally took the Grilse back to the States."
Saint John was the first removed from service in 1972, being sold for service as mercantile Dolphin X for towing ships to a scrapyard in Santander, Spain. On November 27, 1980, it was towing a barge off Labrador when the tug sank according to Tugfax.
Saint Anthony at Esquimalt.